Cerritos staff remember Chief Bukowiecki and his career

Lucinda Aborn, Marilyn Brock, and Rachel Mason  presenting Police Chief Bukowiecki the award for Outstanding Classified Manager of the Year in 2012.
Lucinda Aborn, Marilyn Brock, and Rachel Mason presenting Police Chief Bukowiecki the award for Outstanding Classified Manager of the Year in 2012.

“In January there was a fire in the city of Glendora and the air quality was at its worst. I was running a 10k that weekend and Chief Bukowiecki pulled me aside and said, ‘The air quality is not good. You’re asthmatic, it’s not going to be good, don’t do it.’

“He checked with me the following weekend and he was very disappointed because I did run the 10k. It just really stood out to me that the way he talked to me because he was so caring.” That is how Student Activities Coordinator Amna Jara remembers Chief of Police Richard ‘Buk’ Bukowiecki.

Bukowiecki was found dead of a self-inflicted gunshot wound at a Super 8 Motel by Westminster police on Sunday, Aug. 18 at 3 a.m., according to the Orange County Sheriffs Coroner’s report.

“It was difficult, the officers and the staff here are a very small department and they’ve worked together for some as long as 25 years,” said Campus Police Captain Thomas Gallivan.

Chief Bukowiecki’s Career

BukonlinePic.jpg

Bukowiecki joined the Cerritos family in 1988 when he was hired as a dispatcher. A year later, he would become a full-time officer, in which he served as lieutenant for 11 years.

Since 2006, he served as Interim Chief of Police until Aug. 15 2007 when he was hired as permanent Chief of Police here at Cerritos College. In 2012, he was named Outstanding Classified Manager.

“(Bukowiecki) spent 26 years here so he understood the dynamics of the college and understood that his first priority, which he always stressed to me and the officers, is (the) public safety of the students and faculty and the protection of policy.

“(He) always had an answer and (was) just a very, very good man to work for,” said Captain Gallivan.

He added, “Day to day, very reliable, hard working, very solid as far being able to handle it. You couldn’t tell if there was a fire, an earthquake or if it was just a quiet day. He was very stoic and was able to, as a professional, maintain his composure. As a police officer and police manager, just an outstanding man to work for.”

Besides handling campus safety, during his career Bukowiecki helped create the Community Service Officers program, which helps administration of justice majors gain hands on experience before entering the real world.

“That’s a great program for students that are (administration of justice) majors, but, also, you see the cadets walking around with their uniforms, very professional,” said President Linda Lacy.

Chief Bukowiecki was very passionate about the safety and well being of students and faculty, alike, according to Jara.

“I know he was a big part of the lighting of the parking lot, the new parking machines.

“He would always make sure that the students were reminded that they could call 911 from any phone on the campus or pick up those red phones we have in certain areas and let dispatch know that this individual was going to be walking by themselves and they would send an escort to walk them safely to their car,” she said.

“Honestly you could see that he truly cared. It all came from the heart rather than ‘Oh, this is my job,’” Jara added.

The Man Behind the Badge

Bukowiecki is remembered as being well respected by students and faculty, alike, as well as being a calm individual who could defuse almost any situation.

Jara remembers one particular board meeting in which a student with visual impairment spoke to the senators about the carts the staff drove around campus.

“(The senator) said that they were parked where ever on the campus and the students with visual impairment didn’t know they were there and they would run into them.

“I didn’t look at Chief (Bukowiecki), I didn’t talk about it, but the next day we got an email from him to the entire campus, explaining what the procedure was from then on to park those cars.

“The way he handled it; like he jumped on it so quickly, and it show he truly cared about the students,” she said.

Remembering Chief Bukowiecki

President Lacy remembers his quirky smile and that he was a critical thinker, very intelligent.

“I think, also, he was very respectful in the way he dealt with people, he was not strong handed, he had a really calming demeanor and could defuse situations rather quickly.

He had a good relationship with students, he spoke with the student body and the faculty senate if he needed to explain certain things to faculty even address the Board of Trustees on certain things.

Lacy said, “The reason he’s going to be missed is because he was a great professional.”

She added, “(I feel) absolutely devastated, that’s how I still feel. Shocked, sad, feeling of loss, all those things are coming into mind right now.”

Lacy atttributed the safety of the 25,000 student and faculty campus to Chief Bukowiecki.

Jara said, “Buk had a very big presence and he was very well respected. There were many times he would come to our meetings and speak on behalf of campus police and let us know what they were doing and the changes they were making.”

She added, “When I found out about the news on Monday, I was very distraught and I still am. I think we need to take this opportunity and make sure the well being of our students, being OK mentally and emotionally.”

Bukowiecki was always approachable, the students on campus had no problem going to him and telling him about their concerns.

“He always followed through,” Jara said.

Captain Gallivan will remember Bukowiecki being a family man, a grandfather, a father, husband and a brother.

According to Captain Gallivan, Chief Bukowiecki’s family are still working on memorial and funeral services.

Gustavo Lopez
Gustavo Lopez, Online Editor
I have coffee for blood and I'm not entirely sure I'm human anymore. I sort of stumbled into journalism and Talon Marks but I'm glad I did because I've always lacked direction, even though I've always been told I'm "smart." I've never really felt smart, more like the world doesn't make sense and I'm just trying to make sense of it. I'm a huge gamer and geek and the very model of a scientist Salarian. One thing you'll hear me say usually after several cups of coffee is either "I am Krogan" or "it had to be me, someone else would have gotten it wrong." I hope the editors and the new staff learn from my past mistakes, as well the ones that came before. I wish everyone the best in whatever they may pursue. Let's kick some ass, write good news and show them Talon Marks is more than just the newspaper. We're a team and family. This is Goose signing off, go get'em.