Students group art show

John Morfin
A sculpture created by Jean Ngo titled “Sister Valkyrie.” The sculpture had a sales price of $500 at the Student Art Show.

Undecided major Erica Figueroa is a student from a group of artists from Cerritos College whose art is displayed at the Mary Paxon Gallery in Cultural Arts Center located in in Norwalk, Calif. now until Oct. 5.

“This is my first official gallery exhibition, ” Figueroa said.

The group is part of the Cerritos College Artists’ Society club that grouped together to make the art show.

Vice President of the Artists’ Society Nury Vargas said the artists worked hand-in-hand to gather all the work.

Artists’ Society Club President Gerardo Franco said he visited the Cultural Arts Center a lot and even had an art show as a kid.

“I kept in touched with the people who worked here and I asked them if they can let us have a show.

“I got a couple friends together and we put this show together,” Franco said.

He said that he and his group of friends planned the exhibition a year ago and are “very grateful” for it to happen.

The artist reception was held on Friday with many people coming to support the student art.

Music was provided by disc jockey business major Darwin Vargas.

Undeclared major Mee Jung Lee’s daughter Amy Lee came to the reception to take a look at the art, including her mother’s work.

“They’re very unique pieces, the styles are all very different,” Lee said about the student art pieces. She mentioned that she is proud that her mother’s work is on display.

“Just to be able to be in the space where everyone collaborated, all the artists, I think it’s a great effort. You can really get a sense of that,” Lee said.

Professor of music at Cerritos College Connie Mayfield commented on the Cerritos College Student Art Show. “I think it’s a phenomenal gallery. There are so many really wonderful works,” she said.

“Even more important I think it’s so cool that the students organized this. The initiative that the students have shown is really remarkable,” Mayfield continued.

Rosaura Montes, Staff Writer