Ca Chancellor’s Office approves Cerritos College’s Film degree

English major Kamylle Paddio thinks that it’s great that students can now obtain an associate of arts degree for Film Production while being film majors.

She believes that people should be able to do what they love.

Beginning in fall 2013, students can declare themselves film majors to work their way through college to obtain a AA degree for Film Production.

With all the excitement going on, film major Dawn Grayson said that it is a good idea for the AA degree.

“Now, (film students) don’t have to go to a (film) school for such a long time to obtain a degree,” Grayson said.

Film classes include film and digital cinematography, music video production, screenwriting and advanced motion picture editing.

English major Ricardo Ramirez said he doesn’t understand how Cerritos College offers extensive film classes but no film degree.

“It seems right to have this (AA degree). It’s a great thing to share to future students. We (Cerritos College students) have the talent for it.”

It was approved by the California Community Colleges Chancellor’s Office.

According to Instructional Dean Fine Arts Gary Pritchard, Professor of Film and TV Production Steven Hirohama worked collaboratively Journalism Curriculum Chair Rich Cameron to make this possible for students.

“Professors Hirohama and Cameron are professionals who make challenging work seem effortless.

“They are exceptional instructors who understand the importance of innovative instructional programming in creating pathways for student success,” Pritchard said.

He is looking forward to “celebrating the many successes of our future AA film graduates.”

Professor Hirohama said, “It’s been my goal to have the more dedicated students find internships and work opportunities while at Cerritos (College) so that by the time they leave with an AA degree, they would have the basic skills and experience necessary to enter the production field.”

Rosaura Montes, Staff Writer