K-pop club expands insight on Korean culture

Animation major Julia Izquierdo enjoying playing human bingo. She is half way there. Photo credit: Gildardo “Demo” Aquino

The K-pop club is ready to make its club well known and is focusing to bring different events on campus for students to enjoy and learn about the culture.

K-pop is a musical genre that is originated from South Korea, and it represents dance-pop, pop ballad, electronic, rock, hip-hop and R&B.;

On Thursday, Sept. 18, the club had its first meeting of the semester and it was an interactive type of environment, with club members introducing themselves, sharing their favorite K-pop group and playing human bingo.

John Kerlagon, president of K-pop club, got the idea of human bingo from the Filipino Karbakada Club.

“It’s just a great way to get all the people to kind of get to know each other a little bit more because then you have all the interests, like there’s a bunch of stuff on here.”

— John Kerlagon

Kerlagon said, “It’s just a great way to get all the people to kind of get to know each other a little bit more because then you have all the interests, like there’s a bunch of stuff on here.

“I’m a freshman, I love K-dramas, just a bunch of stuff. It’s a great way for members to know each other.”

Besides getting to know everyone, Kerlagon announced that the club will be having elections for various positions on Thursday, Sept. 25.

Positions available are secretary, treasurer, membership chair, public relation officer(s), ICC representative, event coordinator(s) and a blogger.

The goal of this club is to learn themed words (Korean language) every meeting, and if everyone learns the language, the club will take a trip at the end of the semester and go order Korean barbecue speaking Korean.

“This semester, I want to incorporate a lot of Korean culture, as well. Some language, food and customs, all of that. So, hopefully I will be able to get twice as much participation from the club members. We have a lot of great ideas,” Kerlagon said.

He explained that after Halloween he would like to get an event together with the rest of the Asian clubs on campus called “The Taste of Asia.” The event would showcase dances related to each culture and each club will sell food, like a fundraiser.

Students that showed up to join the club were enthusiastic about all the ideas and are ready to enjoy the club.

Hannah Luong, biology major, is one of the members and explains why she loves K-pop.

“I just love the way it sounds and the meanings it has. It really got me into K-pop, as well as the Korean culture,” she said.

She also explained why she got involved with K-pop Club.

“I joined K-pop Club, I believe, in fall semester of last year, and it has been such a great experience, all the members are so fun and so great,” Luong said.

K-pop Club is open to anyone that would like to know more about the culture and music.

The club meets every Thursday from 11 a.m. to noon at the Liberal Arts building in room 209.

You can find the club on Facebook at: facebook.com/cerritoscollegekpopclub.

Gildardo Aquino
Gildardo Aquino, Staff Writer
Fall 2014 Hello, I’m Gildardo Aquino Jr. also known as DJ DEMO. I am a Broadcast media major. This is my 3rd semester with Talon Marks and every semester I learn something different with the brand that helps me better my craft in radio, journalism and communicating with the real world. My passion is music and entertaining you guys! I am an On-Air mixer on 93.5 KDAY (Los Angeles, CA) every Saturday night from Midnight – 2 a.m. So tune in! Other than that I am a fun person to be with and I love to help others and enjoy life to the fullest! If you see me around say “Hello” and follow me on social media @djdemo99