Top 12 TV shows of the year

1. Breaking Bad, No longer airs

Breaking Bad

Whether it’s the acting, production, or the storyline, everything about this show is astounding. The show follows the life of chemistry professor, Walter White, after he develops lung cancer and begins selling methamphetamine with his former student, Jesse Pinkman, as they encounter violence run-ins with drug lords and the D.E.A. What attracts viewers to this show is that there is no happy ending. It’s a dark show that involves lots of crime and how Walt and Jesse deal with the obstacles they run into.

2. American Horror Story, FX, Wednesdays at 10 p.m.

AHS Freakshow

Creepy goes to a whole new level with this show. The current season involves a freak show, a spoiled adult who has some serious mental issues and endless amounts of death. This show attracts viewers because of the production and how scenes are shot in a unique manner. Aside from that, the mystery never ends – there’s always a twist (that’s beyond gruesome) and it keeps viewers going back for more. Lastly, there’s celebrity guests on the show all the time. This season’s guests were Patti LaBelle and Matt Bomer.

3. Orange is the New Black, Netflix, Season 3 set to air Summer 2015

OITNB.jpg

This show revolves around Piper Chapman, a woman who is preparing to get married and start a life with her husband. All that disappears when Chapman’s past catches up to her in the form of a prison sentence. As soon as she enters prison, her past isn’t done catching up to her since her ex-girlfriend is also in there with her. This show is enticing to fans because it involves problems that deal with relationships, family dilemmas, and racial issues. Along with this, the issues that arise are unexpected but the storyline of the show reveals why the other prisoners are there.

4. Scandal, ABC, Thursdays at 9 p.m.

scandal promo.jpg

If someone hasn’t jumped on the Shonda shuttle, they need to get a ticket, ASAP. Producer, Shonda Rhimes has outdone herself again. Along with Grey’s Anatomy, How to Get Away with Murder, and Private Practice, she’s came out with Scandal. Stellar scripting and acting is what makes this show ratings so high. It is about Olivia Pope and her colleagues that work for her crisis management firm. Along with this, there are love triangles all throughout the show that deal with the president and his first lady. The show never fails to surprise viewers with the next scandal.

5. Once Upon a Time, ABS, Sundays at 8 p.m.

Once Upon a Time

This show brings fairytales to life in Fairytale Land; the fairytales everyone grew up with dealing with but this time with bigger obstacles and not so animated. So far, some of the tales the show has covered Cinderella, Aladdin, Mulan, and Peter Pan. It’s most recent season involved characters from Disney’s Frozen. What’s surprisingly fascinating is that the villains are why people are hooked to the show. They’re interesting, suspicious and what viewers desire.

6. Family guy, FOX, Sundays at 9 p.m.

Family Guy

Family Guy’s crude humor is what everyone loves about this show. The show touches base on a important topics throughout the world but also throws plenty jokes in too. The 30-minute show follows the life of the Griffin family and the hilarious encounters they have with multiple people and/or situations.

7. New Girl, FOX, Mondays at 9 p.m.

New Girl

The heart of this show is in it’s quirky main character, Jess. After a bad break-up with her ex, she moves into an apartment building with three single men. The show revolves around Jess and her roommates and what they encounter throughout their day. Viewers find that they are able to relate to Jess because she’s awkward, bold and hilarious. On top of that, her roommates and best friend Cece add humor to the show. From how to get out of a date to how to keep a job, fans are able to relate to Jess and her friends.

8. Teen Wolf, MTV, Season 5 set to air June 2015

Teen Wolf

Beauty, action, and Stiles. The show revolves around Scott McCall’s life as a teenage werewolf living in Beacon Hills. Along with this, there’s mythology that involves werewolves and other creatures whom fight against each other to see who will get the other hand. So many are drawn to this show because of the action and the FX involved in those scenes. While watching the show, it’s easily noticeable that everyone in the show is good looking including everyone’s favorite character guy (besides Scott), Stiles Stilinski. His quirky attitude and amount of courage he has when it comes to his friends make online randoms go nuts.

9. Pretty Little Liars, ABC Family, Tuesdays at 8 p.m.

PLL.jpg

A group of teenage girls come together after one of their best friends was supposedly murdered and they start receiving texts from their departed friend along with the oh-so-famous signature “A”. With majority of the fans of this show being girls, it’s easy to state what draws them in are the relationships and mystery. Each girl has her own love interest and not all of them are the ideal relationships since they involve secrets and lies. Each character has her own subplot and is always growing in one way or another. Fans get reeled in to see what’s going to happen next in their life and if they’ll ever find out who “A” is.

10. Modern Family, ABC, Wednesdays at 9 p.m.

Modern Family

This sitcom revolves around the life of Jay Pritchett and three other interrelated families living in the suburbs of Los Angeles. Fans love this show because of it’s witty humor and how much they are able to relate. The characters on the show are layered, they have much more to their personality than what they are first perceived as when they show began. They all have their own problems and figure them out in their own way. Another reason fans love the show is because it is a mockumentary, the cast speaks directly to the camera.

11. Dancing with the Stars, ABC, Season 20 set to air March 2015

Dancing with the Stars

This dance competition show gains more and more viewers every season (keep in mind, they’ve had 19). This show puts people’s favorite celebrities and pairs them with a professional dancer to compete for the Mirror Ball. Viewers love that it makes actors, performers, and Olympic athletes step out of their comfort zone and learn specific styles of dancing or bringing back popular dance moves. For instance, this past season Alfonso Ribeiro brought back his famous “Carlton” dance on the show. Some celebs that have starred in the show are Donny Osmond, Rob Kardashian, and Janel Parrish.

12. Big Bang Theory, CBS, Mondays at 8 p.m.

Big Bang Theory

“Bazinga!” So many are head over heels for this show about three women who put up with three nerdy men. The comedy is just right within the show; not too much jokes and not too little. Don’t forget the king of sarcasm and science, Sheldon Cooper, played by Jim Parsons. Fans love to watch how Sheldon and the rest of the cast go about their day while living in the same apartment building together.

Samantha Vasquez
Samantha Vasquez, Multimedia Editor
Spring 2015 Dear person looking at this bio, stop. Just stop. Ha! I kid. HI I'M SAM...and I do not like green eggs and ham. But I do like froyo. I'm a journalism major and for anyone that doesn't know what I intend to do with it, let me tell you...neither do I. It's just a passion I have and I enjoy everything within it. This is my second semester on the paper. This semester i'm the multimedia editor so I hope to do some exciting new things with that! Enough about school, more about myself. When i'm not at school, I'm working at one of my two jobs. In my free time, you can catch me roaming around the city or in front of a computer. My three addictions are social media, television and unfrosted PopTarts. I love to tweet nonsensicals and like pictures of different animals on Instagram. I love meeting new people even though many would say, "if awkward had a child, it would no doubt be her." One of my goals in life is to have Obama (or Beyonce) follow me back on Twitter. With all that being said, I can't wait to see what's in store for this semester. Let's get weird, Talon Marks! BYEEEE.