Counseling services offers students treasure

Students come to the final location, Career Services, where they are rewarded with treasure. The new Career Services office is located in the Multi Purpose building Photo credit: Kristopher Carrasco

X marks the spot as the Cerritos College Counseling Services Division held a treasure hunt-themed open house.

The event was held on Thursday, Sept. 24 at the Admissions quad.

The treasure hunt was complete with free food, an entry for a raffle of a Kindle Fire and information about the three resources the Counseling Services Division has to offer.

In order to participate completely in all these festivities, students were to pick up a check list card at the first stop, the counseling office and proceed to get the check list signed at the next following stops, the Transfer Center followed by Career Services.

According to Monique Rodriguez, program assistant for counseling, the event was a collaborative effort between the three departments in order to “get the word out there.”

She was spreading the word about the new Saturday counceling appointments and extended walk-in hours.

“It’s more people than I thought would show up, so it’s going pretty good. It helps to get the word out there and it helps to give them something to snack on,” Rodriguez said.

Each station offered something different to students and inclination to navigate through the admissions quad and then through the Multipurpose Building.

According to Brittany Lundeen, Transfer Center coordinator, due to the relocation of several admissions resources, the Counseling Divisions decided to have one large open house event that would showcase the new resource locations.

“We really want students to get to know where we’re located and what we have to offer them. You don’t have to wait till right before you leave to come and visit the Transfer Center and use our services” Lundeen said.

The final stop of the treasure hunt was the Multipurpose Building where the new Career Services office is located.

The final stop was also where students can pick up pastries and drop off the completed check list.

Terrie Lopez, director of career assessment services, and her team of pirate-themed staff welcomed students to the last stop with open arms as they gave out information about jobs, upcoming workshops and picking a major.

“When students come in during their first semester, we want them to really understand what their educational goals are. We help them through self exploration” Lopez said.

She added, “We thought of having a treasure hunt theme because after all is said and done, once you go through you educational experience, the treasure hopefully will be a job.”

Many students who participated, such as dentist major, Taylor Harden, felt the event was worth while and a great way to help the students.

“I had attended Long Beach Community College and I was lost straight out of high school to the point where I had to leave, so to come here and see that there are so many people trying to help you get out with your AA or transfer is a good feeling.” Harden said.

Harden went on to add that her favorite department of the event was the Career Services office where she now feels she can follow up on not only her job, but find a secure major.

Kristopher Carrasco
Kristopher Carrasco, Online Editor
My name is Kristopher Carrasco I'm that guy that went to college and didn't really know what to do. I just kind of jumped around until I was suddenly failing out of school. Then I found Talon Marks and little by little I started to understand what I wanted to do with my life and apparently it's journalism. The idea of gathering information from a variety of sources and re-telling it through visual or written story telling has engaged me in so much more than I ever thought possible. I love to work with Multimedia, but this year I have become Online Editor in hopes of learning a new skill set. I hope to be a music journalist in the future, but in the mean time I'll be finishing my last semester up at Cerritos College in the spring of 2016. I also love raccoons; like a lot.