Disney College Program makes students dreams come true

The “Happiest Place on Earth” gives students the opportunity to be part of the magic through the Disney College Program.

Students who assisted the workshop Tuesday, Sept. 12 learned about the opportunities and requirements to apply for the Disney College Program.

The program is a four-to-seven month internship made of three components:

· Living – housing

· Learning – college courses, seminars to meet and network with Disney leaders

· Earning – job opportunity at the parks and resorts

To be eligible to apply you must; be 18-years, currently enrolled and taking classes or graduated within the past six months, meet school requirements for participation (2.5 GPA), have unrestricted work authorization.

“If Disney is for you, if that’s the type of company that you want to work for and a long-term goal after you graduate, then this is the perfect opportunity to network and it gives you a good way to show what type of employee you can be, what your work ethic is, what your commitment is like and what you can bring to the company. This is the first step,” said Jennifer Arenas, guest speaker and digital communications coordinator at Long Beach City manager office.

Arenas experienced the program herself at Florida and shared her experience as being great, fun, and a great opportunity to network and meet different people from all over the world.

“I did lodging so I did front desk at one of their resorts. I was able to take seminars and meet people within marketing because that’s what I wanted to do. I didn’t take any courses from my university when I was there I took courses from them because I wanted to learn more about how marketing happens within Disney, and I was also able to be part of the launching campaign for Fantasy Land,” Arenas said.

Students get to choose from the Anaheim, CA. or Orlando, FL. location (once you choose one you can’t change it) and both offer housing with a fee that depends on the location, size of the apartment, and the number of roommates.

First step is to apply and submit the application online which can be accessed at, https://jobs.disneycareers.com/disney-college-program.

You will need to choose three areas you’re interested from the roles they provide; operations, entertainment, lodging, food & beverages, retail and recreation.

Step two is the web based interview which takes about 35-40 min with 100+ questions, then you will be notified if you made it to step three phone interview.

Clara Ross-Jones, career counselor, said, “Students should take advantage of internship opportunities, get some hands-on-experience in different fields, boost their resumes and it also adds when you transfer that you have experience in a field that you are considering.”

Nadia Maglonso, business administration major, is considering on applying for the workshop due to her needing a job.

“I feel like it’s a good experience to expand and get resources for jobs and I feel like it would be more beneficial than getting a minimum wage job,” Maglonso stated.

Sheyenne Lafrance, engineering major, is interested in design and assisted the workshop in hopes it can work out with her schedule when she applies.

“I think it would help me get into some type of design and then maybe something higher with Disney,” said Lafrance.

Rocio Valdez
Rocio Valdez, Arts & Entertainment Editor
Rocio Valdez is currently the Arts and Entertainment Editor for Cerritos College’s Talon Marks. She hopes to transfer to CSU Long Beach in the fall of 2020 to obtain a Bachelor of Arts in Journalism. She is interested in going into public relations or working for a news or entertainment outlet.