Holistic health fair provides resources

Students were collecting information from the holistic event. Resources were made available to those in the LGBTQ+ community, undocumented students, victims of domestic violence, those addicted to substances and those with mental health issues. Photo credit: Jose Flores

Faculty and students were given the opportunity to research organizations and gain resources that may be helpful and encompass a large portion of the student population.

Resources were made available to those in the LGBTQ+ community, undocumented students, victims of domestic violence, those addicted to substances and those with mental health issues.

Such resources were available at roughly 25 tables in the Student Center, from organizations in surrounding cities around Cerritos College.

The event, formally known as Holistic Health Awareness Day, was made possible by Director of Diversity, Compliance and Title IX Coordinator Dr. Valyncia Raphael, the Human Resources department and suggestions made by faculty, staff and students.

The day-long event was held Monday, Sept. 11 from 8:30 a.m. to 6 p.m..

Dr. Raphael stated, “Student Activities, CSCA, that’s our classified employee union, they were really spearheading it. They said, ‘we need more resources on campus’ Definitely for students but also for employees, we can’t forget about the people that work here and some of our students.”

Dr. Raphael expressed that a group effort, in part by Human Resources, faculty, staff and students, was made in order to make the event a possibility.

Students like Robert Garibay, theater major, were able to ask representatives any questions they may regarding their organizations.

Garibay thinks, “It’s amazing because we live in the day and age where it’s really hard for people to communicate themselves especially to another individual so the fact that we have these things that people can just call and ask for help, it’s great because we need to help each other out.”

The organizations present were the LGBT Center OC, Community Family Guidance Center, Angel Step Up and Southern California Alcohol and Drug Programs, Inc.

Ana Abreu-Henriquez, health care navigator with the LGBT Center OC explains the importance of reaching out for help.

“We all may be going through something at a certain time, [it] doesn’t matter what it may be, and we are looking for help. Sometimes we don’t know where to look and that’s why we are here, to make sure that [students] know that… whether it’s with trans, immigration or mental health services or linkage to help.”

Several tables, including Abreu-Henriquez’s, demonstrated to be a one-stop-shop in regards to catering the various unfortunate situations that anybody can find themselves in.

Another example was Southern California Alcohol and Drug Programs, Inc.

Rachel Price, a representative with the organization, explained the many services and programs the organization provides, “We are a service that provides, not just drug and alcohol [services], we provide services for women and children who are in domestic violence situations, we have programs for women who are pregnant and struggling with substance abuse, we have an intimate partner violence program which is called the LGBTQ Angel Step-up….”

Dr. Raphael explains the importance behind the day saying, “Holistic Health Awareness Day is really about reminding us that we need to make sure that we are investing in ourselves so that we can support everybody that we work with.”

Bianca Martinez
Bianca Martinez, Editor in Chief