Pansa Llena: You knead to try this pan dulce

Marilyn Parra
Above is La Corona’s most popular pan dulce. Conchas, orejas and galletas are displyaed.

¡Hola Pansitas! If you love sweets then this article is for you. From pan dulce to classic cupcakes and cakes, La Corona Bakery has it all.

Located in a small plaza across from Excelsior High School in Norwalk, California La Corona Bakery promises freshly baked bread every morning.

Don’t let the small size of the panadería fool you, when you first walk in you are welcomed with the aroma of a sweet pan dulce. Who wouldn’t want to be surrounded by four walls of fresh bread?

This panadería is one of my favorites, it brings back memories of when I would go to a similar one in the city of Lynwood with my grandma.

Whether you’re a picky eater or not La Corona has many options to choose from. There are four tall glass food cases containing conchas, danishes, galletas, orejas and many more.

Walking in you’re greeted by two friendly smiles, in the middle of the bakery there is an island stacked with plastic trays and tongs.

What makes this panadería even better is how inexpensive it is. Nowadays it’s hard to find a place that sells pan dulce for a cheap price, now this place accepts cash only so make sure to stop by your local bank.

Whenever I go I stack my tray up high with bread and spend under $10. To top it off the portion sizes will leave your pansa llena.

For those who do not know what galletas and orejas are, they are Spanish terms for cookie and ear.

Galletas are thick, soft and bigger then your normal cookie, usually topped with chocolate chips, sprinkles and jelly. While orejas are sugar coated puff pastries that resemble the shape of an ear.

I tend to go for the chocolate chip and sprinkle galletas and pair it with a nice hot chocolate.

Conchas are the most popular, they are sweet bread rolls with a pattern sugar coating on top. They vary in colors, the three most popular are white, pink and chocolate. Despite all conchas being the same flavor they are the most popular bread in Mexico and the United States.

Mexico is the origin of these popular sweet breads, they are handmade and sold in the same day. The tradition of eating sweet pastires dates back to the 16th century when the Spanish introduced wheat in Mexico.

The wheat was used mainly for the Eucharist ate in the Roman Catholic Church but one day someone innovativly decided to use it for more.

Fast foward to the 19th century and Mexican panaderías started to pop out everywhere in Mexico. Most of the influence was inspired by the French, some pastries have a resemblance to French pastries but differ in texture due to the different ingredients.

There are many ways to enjoy pan dulce, you can dip them in hot chocolate, coffee or milk. If you’re on your way to work or running errands take time out of your day to stop by La Corona Bakery and enjoy a warm pan dulce.

Marilyn Parra
Marilyn Parra, Co-Online Editor
Marilyn Parra is a communications major at Cerritos College and is now the Co-Online/Social media editor at Talon Marks. Marilyn would love to work for Disney's PR team after graduating from her dream school Cal State Long Beach. She wants to be a role model for young hispanics in the media industry.