Queer Coffee for Domestic Violence Awareness Month

The first Queer Coffee at Cerritos College began in the Fall of 2018 and is a monthly event in support of the LGBTQ community. Their Domestic Violence workshop was held on Oct. 15, 2019. Photo credit: Naila Salguero

A safe space for all, Cerritos College celebrated Domestic Awareness Month with Queer Coffee, a monthly event held in the Student Center Stage from 9:30 – 11:30 a.m. that offers education and support for the LGBTQ+ students, staff, and faculty.

The majority of the (DVAM) society have mainly focused on heterosexual relationships, leaving a huge part of the LGBTQ community left out.

LGBTQ members fall victim to domestic violence as well.

The purpose of Queer Coffee is to have the opportunity to discuss with students the signs of healthy relationships.

The event is sponsored by Safe Zone a group of college supporters who are devoted to speaking issues about the importance and safety to the LGBTQ community through advocacy and education, as well as the Human Resources office of Diversity, Compliance, and Title IX Coordinator which was started by Director Dr. Raphael Valyncia.

Monica Acuna, staff development assistant for the Human Resources Department, shares how important it is to have a place for students to go to.

“We want to make sure that our LGBTQ community knows that we’re here for them and that they have safe place to go to,” she stated.

Anything that is discussed in Queer Coffee stays within the event.

Angel Gray, is the new Campus Victim’s Advocate here at Cerritos College in the department of Student Health Services.

She co facilitates all the Domestic Violence workshops as such as Queer Coffee Space.

She had students write their names on a name tag as well as putting their pronouns, activities for the students such as coloring pictures (as a way to get your mind off things from what is going on from the outside world) and as well as loving your body worksheets and appreciating what is unique about the person.

Gray stated, “I think it’s important so students know that they have a safe place on campus to come and talk to people that really are taking an interest in what they’re going through here on campus.”

When it first began in the Fall of 2018 it was a huge turnaround with a lot of students showing up, now three semesters later the attendance of students has gone down.

Students Jordan Sullivan, an accounting major and Kristin Sohan, a communications major were in attendance are also part of the Safe Zone club.

Sullivan tries to make it as often she said, “When it first started there were lot of people now it seems like the numbers have gone down.

She continued, “I feel like the school doesn’t promote it as much.”

Culinary Arts student Mary O’Donnell decided to attend the workshop saying, “My English professor was offering extra credit to attend any events happening in school.”

Only two more Queer Coffee workshops left in the semester. For more information, contact the Office of Diversity, Compliance and Title IX.

Naila Salguero
Naila Salguero, Staff Writer
Naila Salguero is a journalism major at Cerritos College and current staff writer for Talon Marks. She would love to transfer to her dream school Cal State Fullerton. Naila is an aspiring broadcaster, she hopes to one day work for NBC Universal.