Norwalk pizza restaurant raises money for Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Vincent Medina
So-Cal Pizza partners with the city of Norwalk to raise money for Breast Cancer Awareness Month. The restaurant donated 20% of the proceeds to the American Cancer Society on Oct. 21, 2021.

So-Cal PIzza partnered with the city of Norwalk to host the “Power of Pink Breast Cancer Awareness Month” fundraiser on Oct. 21. During the day, 20% of the proceeds went to the American Cancer Society.

Restaurant owner, Rick Ochea, estimated that by 2:30 pm the restaurant raised $200 – $300 for breast cancer research.

Ochea and his employees wore pink masks for the event.

“It’s always good to partner with the city to help the community for a good cause,” said Ochea. “Myself and my business, we started to become a tool to create community connection with everything and anything we can do.”

Some customers were unaware of the fundraiser but were happy to support the cause.

Norwalk residents Jaque and Leo Castanon brought their one-year-old daughter Mia to the restaurant for a family dinner and learned about the fundraiser.

“I’ve had two aunts with cancer, only one of them survived,” shared Leo.

His wife also noted that it is important to bring awareness to the issue.

It is estimated that over a million new cases of cancer were diagnosed in the United States, with the most common being breast cancer according to the National Cancer Institute.

“I’ve lost some of my aunts and cousins to breast cancer and cancer in general,” said Ochea. “It’s something dear to my heart.”

Restaurant manager Tyleen Zuniga shared that she also lost an uncle to cancer.

“It’s an important cause, and we’ve advertised for the fundraiser on social media,” said Zuniga.

Norwalk is also hosting the Relay for Life Tri-Cities event to raise money for cancer research at the city hall lawn on Oct. 23.

While So-Cal Pizza is not expected to help cater the event, Ochea is willing to assist if the city reaches out to him.

So-Cal Pizza is located across the street from Norwalk city hall at 12253 Imperial Hwy.

Vincent Medina
Vincent Medina, Managing Editor
Vincent Medina is the managing editor of Cerritos College Talon Marks Newspaper. He plans to receive his Associates Degree for Transfer at the end of Fall ‘21 semester. Vincent plans to pursue political journalism, and his goal is to become a political correspondent.