FAFSA deadline nears

The Financial Aid Department suggests students to sign up for early financial aid to avoid late money disbursement for the fall semester.

Students who wish to receive their financial aid money by August should submit the FAFSA required documents by April 30th.

Kim Westby, Dean of Student Support Services, suggests that Cerritos College students apply early to prepare for the Fall 2011 term.

“The free application for federal student aid (FAFSA) is available every January for the upcoming academic year,” Westby said.

Students who wait after the deadline to submit their FAFSA application not only receive late money disbursement but do not catch any errors they made on their application on time.

Cuxan Valladares, Student Affairs Technician, said, “When filling for financial aid, one of the problems that students usually have are on the dependency questions.”

“Students believe that because they work, pay their own bills, and have their own place, they are dependent, but that is not the case.”

“The state of California does not recognize students who are under 24 years old as an independent student, unless they are married, emancipated, parents are deceased, you are in the military or are a veteran,” Valladares said.

Students should also take note to respond to all financial aid missing information letters that they receive on the mail to complete the application process.

Applicants who are filling for financial aid and have not yet filed for the 2010 tax return should still file for early financial aid.

“Students should file even without their taxes, once you get your taxes, you can always come back and make corrections,” Valladares said.  

Students who are filling for financial aid for Cal States and have not file their 2010 tax return should consider an early application as well, Cal States will allow students to make corrections before the March 2 deadline.

Martina Salguero, nursing major, said, “I always apply for financial aid around February when I do my taxes and I get my money on time for the Fall semester.”

Due to recent budget cuts, financial aid can also get cut and students can be affected by it.

“Budget cuts are always a concern for state and federal financial aid. Funding can be reduced and delays in processing applications is always a concern,” Westby said.