Independent team wins first Triathlon Soccer Tournament

Cristina Navarro
Triathlon Club hosted a club soccer tournament wherein four different clubs competed against each other. The event was held on friday, Nov. 19 at the Cerritos Facilities Field.

Pete Moye’
News Button

The Triathlon Club hosted its first soccer tournament on Nov. 18.

Despite the gloomy weather, there was a turnout of more than 20 people participating.

David Fabish, one of the club’s two advisers, said, “I was thinking there might have been two or three, four or five people but we have 20 to 30 people, it was great.”

The tournament was open to all campus clubs and independent student teams consisting of six players and three alternates.

Four teams in total showed up to the event.

The ticket prices were $3 and each ticket sold was also entered into a raffle.

The club raised over $150 from the tournament. Most of the money raised by the club will go to fund triathlon club events.

“The main activity they hope to participate in is the Wildflower triathlon; this happens in May and it’s really a wonderful triathlon experience I think that’s what the larger goal is,” Fabish said.

Twenty five percent of the money raised by the club will also go to the Su Casa organization which helps victims of domestic violence.

According to the club’s secretary, Itza Moreno, this is not the first sport-oriented fundraiser the club has held.

“The Triathlon Club has held flag football tournaments before and that has turned out pretty well,” Moreno said, “and [it] wanted to try out something new this year ‘cause we have a lot of soccer players in our club and [it] brought it up as an idea and we thought it might work out”

Due to the success of the soccer tournament, the Triathlon Club plans to host similar fundraisers in the future.

“We had a couple people tell us that it was pretty nice that we had this because nobody else has had this, and that if we do it again they’ll be glad to come back and play again,” Moreno said.

First prize for the winning soccer team was movie tickets and prizes for the raffle were Triathlon Club t-shirts.

The Triathlon Club itself faced and lost the final match to an independent student team.

One of the players for the winning team was undecided major Lionel Barrera who found out about the tournament through student activities.

“I like soccer a lot and I was notified that there was going to be tournament so I decided ‘why not?,’” Barrera said. “There were a couple [of teams] that were actually pretty good, so it was a good experience. It was fun, we needed more teams.”