Bookstore helps angels in need

More is offered at the college bookstore than just supplies for school.

Students and faculty can go to bookstore register to ask for an angel. Not just any angel, but an angel sticker that is by the Norwalk Social Service Angel Tree Project.

The Angel Tree Project lets people participate in giving a Christmas gift in the form of clothing to a child. No toys can be donated for the project.

When given an angel, labeled in the front of the sticker is the name of a child from the Norwalk School District, child’s gender, age and clothing size.

Complete dress pieces should be turned in when donating, such as pants with a shirt or blouse, dress or complete sweat suit.

This is the tenth year that the Cerritos College Bookstore is participating with the Angel Tree Project.

Bookstore merchandise team leader Griselda Caldera said that there are 30 to 35 angels for participants to pick up for those who are interested in donating.

“So far, 15 angels have been picked up,” Caldera said.

She explained that faculty participate more than students.

“The angels were up in a Christmas tree (when the bookstore first participated in the project) and students would take them. The problem was that students would take an angel and be irresponsible by not bringing anything back.

“We (staff in the bookstore) didn’t know who had what angel,” Caldera said.

Working for Norwalk’s Social Services Center as a recreation leader, Christina Fregoso said that there are about 1,500 children who are in part of the project.

There are other locations in Norwalk that also have angels and donations can be brought there.

All donations have to be returned to the designated area, which is where participants picked up the angel(s), by Dec. 10.

Rosaura Montes, Staff Writer