TAG program guarantees admission

Transfer Admission Guarantee is a program that guarantees transfer from Cerritos College to participating universities.

On Friday, Sept. 4, Counselor/Co-Director of the Transfer Center Brittany Lundeen, hosted the TAG workshop.

Students inquiring admission requirements for their university of choice attended the workshop in Multi Purpose Building Room 205.

Health Care Management major Porshae Thomas attended the previous workshop in August and attended this workshop to further become familiar with the admission requirements.

Several students inquired information for CSU Dominguez Hills as the institution has an agreement with six colleges one of which is Cerritos College.

Criminal justice major Monica Sanchez has her sights set on enrolling at CSU Dominguez Hills.

The workshop helped Sanchez consider her options because students learned that there are conditions when a student applies.

Students can only apply for one TAG per type of institution: CSU, UC and private school.

Students were also advised that some institutions guarantee admission to the campus, but not guarantee your major.

The workshop also informs students that their TAG application and institution’s declared major must be the same or risk losing a guaranteed admission.

After attending the workshop, Sanchez was advised to consider a minor in the event she wants to pursue another field; in her case it’s sociology.

African American Media Studies major Amaris Adoh found out about the TAG workshop after speaking to a UCLA representative suggested she attend.

Adoh attended the workshop to better familiarize herself with the application process and learn tasks such as calculating GPA and how many units and courses are required.

Due to the high volume of callers asking to book an appointment with a transfer counselor; Counselor Lundeen, suggests students book an appointment in person due to having only three phone lines.

The next TAG workshop is Thursday, Sept. 10, from 1 p.m. – 3 p.m. at the Multi Purpose Building Room 205.

Lundeen also wants students to be aware of their University field trips:

• CSU Los Angeles Friday, Oct. 2 from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
  • USC Friday, Oct. 16 from 7:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.
  • UCLA Friday, Oct. 23 from 6 a.m. – 6 p.m.
  • UC Irvine Saturday, Oct. 24 from 7:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.
  • UC San Diego Friday, Nov. 6 from 6:15 a.m. – 7:30 p.m.
  • CSU Dominguez Saturday, Nov. 7 from 8 a.m. – 3 p.m.

There will be a trip to CSU Fullerton in collaboration with the Transfer Center and EOPS; date to be determined at a later time, check the transfer center web site for updates.

Rob Flores
Rob Flores, Staff Writer
Jaime Roberto Flores Junior is a Radio Television student best known as Rob. He began his involvement at Cerritos College through WPMD Radio hosting his show Falcon Spotlight which you can find the facebook fan page “Cerritos College Falcon Spotlight” where he has interviewed a variety of leaders from students, faculty and elected officials such as Lynwood City Council Member and the Mayor of Norwalk. After serving the Country in AmeriCorps where he received congressional recognition from congress woman Linda Sanchez and the Presidential Volunteer Service award  he decided to get involved in student government known as the Associated Students of Cerritos College . As a Student Senator, he was appointed Chair of the Special Services and Activities sub-committee. He later went on to serve a year as the Assistant Commissioner of Public Relations. As an original member of Go Green he was part of the hiring committee that hired the first ever student recycling nest technicians.  He served a year as the Student Representative in the Institutional Committee known as Enrollment Management and the Faculty Senate Sub- Committee known as Student Learning Outcomes (SLO) . Currently he is active in the City of Lynwood as a Block Watch Captain promoting safety. He also serves as a City Intern. In addition he serves in the Lynwood Park Advisory Committee for the new Linear Park opening Fall 2015. As of 2015 he is now a Life Time Member of the National Association of Latino Appointed and Elected Officials (NALEO) .  He hopes to one day have a career in the entertainment industry and would like to be appointed as a Commissioner in his City. You can also reach him on twitter @lynwoodRobJF & Instagram RobJF2013