Sue Parsons retires after 19 years of service

There was a retirement party inside the stage room in the Student Center for a staff member of Cerritos College. Sue Parsons, the director of Educational Partnership/Programs was honored on Sept. 22

She has been working for the college for at least 19 years and now has decided to say her farewell, but not before having her final party.

Parsons said, “First off, I love everybody here. It’s been a great honor to work for the school. This is a very important part of my life. I’ve been working at [the] school for at least 19 years, and it’s been a blast.

“I remember when I started as a Math professor, and I’ve gained this new role of director of Educational Partnership. Even though I’ll be gone, I’ll miss everything here.”

She continued, “The people, [the] students, the staff; I’ll miss it all. Working at Cerritos College was [a] tremendous gift. I’ll never forget the times I’ve spent here.”

A colleague of hers Jeri Codi said, “It’s a heartfelt loss. I’ll miss her very much because she was an amazing person to work with. We worked very closely and had a great bond. She’s an incredible individual, and highly intelligent. I still can’t believe she’s really going.”

Another colleague Monica Castro said, “I’m having mixed emotions right now. Well, maybe sadness since she’s leaving. I’ll miss her a lot. She was a tremendous manager, and she was here for a reason. That reason was to help out the school in her own way and that’s something I’ll remember her by.”

One of her former students was in attendance and spoke of Parson’s passion.

Jackie Cardana said, “She was an amazing teacher. A passion as strong as ever. I wish for the best in her life.”

Alvaro Bayona
Alvaro Bayona, Staff Writer
Alvaro Bayona is a student at Cerritos College. He is a full-time student and works for Talon Marks as a Journalist and enjoys it so far. An interesting fact about Alvaro is that he also holds the title of "Author." Since he was 19, Alvaro has self-written over two fictional books. You can find him Facebook to catch up on his stories. Alvaro is currently hoping to transfer to Cal State Long Beach, where he'll earn his Bachelor's degree in Creative Writing. When he's not at school, Alvaro likes to attend to his hobbies. He loves to read books about many topics such as history and comic books. He also loves to sit down and writes more interesting tales that come up his mind. Feel free to learn more about Alvaro as he continues to write for the school newspaper for Talon Marks.