Police report fondling incidents on campus

“I am always concerned regarding any crimes of this nature occurring on campus. I believe that both these crimes are isolated incidents that do not pose an ongoing threat to the campus community.” Chief of Police Tom Gallivan, of the Cerritos College Police Department said in response to the forcible fondling incidents that have occurred on campus in the last week.

The first incident occurred Wednesday, Feb. 1 in the Men’s locker room at approximately 8:30 p.m.

According to the safety alert sent out by CCPD, a male victim was inappropriately touched by an unknown male suspect.

A description was given and the suspect is described as a Male-Hispanic, and is believed to be in his 20’s, six foot with a medium build; a slight belly, beard and slicked-back hair.

“The investigation is [now complete] and the suspect has not been identified,” Gallivan said.

The second incident, in which Gallivan stated “are not connected or related in any way,” occurred on Thursday, Feb. 9 at approximately 2:35 p.m.

However, CCPD was not alerted to the incident until approximately 4:15 p.m. Officers were informed that a female was approached by a male while walking to class near Math and Computer Information Science Building.

While attempting to engage the victim in conversation, the suspect then grabbed the victim’s buttocks and fled the scene.

He was described to a white/Hispanic male in his early 20’s between six foot and six foot two inches; medium build, brown hair, a narrow dark beard and possible acne scarring on face.

The investigation is still active and the suspect has yet to be identified.

Gallivan stressed that campus police will remain highly visible and alert in and around the campus grounds.

He also advise that you become aware of the different crime prevention techniques that the CCPD offers on its website.

Associate Dean of Student Health & Wellness Hillary Mennella, said that if anyone were to find themselves in a dangerous situation like these to find a safe place and reach out to a trusted friend.

“It is important to make sure you are physically well, thus going to the nearest ER as soon as possible is advised,” she said, “I’d also recommend making a police report as soon as possible.”

She also advised that if you have been a victim of sexual crime to reach out to a trusted support system and to utilize resources such as, “a Sex Abuse Treatment Center counselor or therapist, and other professionals for information and support.”

Monique Nethington
Monique Nethington, Editor in Chief
My name is Monique Nethington and am the current Editor-in-Chief of Talon Marks. I am a Journalism major at Cerritos College and hope to one day work for the NFL network as a field reporter. In the fall, I will be attending Academy of the Arts University in San Francisco to get my BA in Communications and Media Technologies.