Dress codes reinforce positive impressions

A dress code on the Cerritos College campus would be a good thing.

It would help prepare us for the working world in which we would no longer be allowed to wear whatever we want.

No one likes to be told what to wear, but it is a fact of life that we as adults have to deal with.

Having a dress code has nothing to do with what level of education you have reached.

Students should come to school to get an education and not to show off and expose themselves, regardless of how old you are or what type of school you are going to.

Campus should be a place to learn the necessary skills to succeed in the business world.

You wouldn’t go to work with your midriff showing or in a wife beater.

So why should it be okay to wear something like that to a place where you are practicing and learning what is necessary for that job you worked toward?

If you would like to be able to wear whatever you want to wear, go to Wal-Mart. There you won’t be judged for wearing pajamas or jeans that don’t cover your butt.

It is important to dress appropriately for whatever you are doing or hoping to achieve.

As parents would say: Dress the part.

Like it or not appearances mean a lot in our society.

You may be a 4.0 GPA student, but if you go into class looking like you just rolled out of bed, threw on a pair of ripped jeans and oversized clothing or something that is clearly two sizes too small. The teacher is not going to look at you like you are.

Or vice versa, if you are well put together in appropriate clothes, then you look the part of a student who actually cares.

Don’t get it wrong, there is a lot more to being a good student than the clothes you wear, but first impressions mean a lot.

A dress code would help guide students in the direction of what it’s like to look and be successful.

In any place of business there is a dress code employees are expected to follow, even if it is just a part time job flipping burgers.

College shouldn’t be any different.

Lets face it, as much as you want to deny it, when you look good, you feel good, and no one works to the best of their ability when they feel like crap.

Sarah Niemann, Staff Writer