Renovation cutting education

It is disheartening to see Cerritos College have money for renovations. If only that money can be used for keeping classes afloat instead of being in danger of being cut.

Cerritos College financial woes have gone as far as classes being cut. Adding fuel to the fire, Cerritos College is renovating places where it doesn’t necessarily need it.

Currently, Cerritos College still has money left from G.O. Bond that they still have not use. The G.O. Bond is long term borrowing that the state issues for municipal securities.

Cerritos College is planning to use the money toward other renovations including the gym, the Bussines Education Building, Burnight Theatre, Music Building, the Physical Science Building, the Child Development Building , and the lot C-2 parking lot.

Also buildings that are being renovated are Liberal Arts Building, Disabled Students Programs and Services Building, CIS Math Building, and the Fine Arts Building.

These renovations and projects are coming at a bad time because Cerritos College needs the money to save classes from being cut and save programs instead renovations and new buildings.

These renovations are also coming at a time where the prices of the units are increasing. Before 2011, classes were $25 per unit and now has risen to $36 per unit.

This is a sign of many things that might come in the near future. It’s frustrating to walk around campus and seeing construction being done while we are having classes being cut.

Cerritos College should redirect the money they get into educational programs in order to prevent students from being stuck with this problem. Education has to be the first priority for all schools.

Cerritos College has to use the G.O. Bond for municipal purposes. If only that bond can be used to help support our academic programs, Cerritos College would be fine.

Do we value education over a new softball field or shinier looking buildings? Renovating our school isn’t bad, it’s just that our classes should be the first priority over everything else.

The only people that are feeling the pain are the students who are losing the classes that they need. Instead of money going into pointless renovations, it should be used to keep the classes that students need.

Someone has to let the people who run Cerritos College know that money doesn’t grow on trees.

Our future is dependent on the opportunities we get from life. Students need to have acces to these classes they need so they can so they can further their education, transfer, and graduate.

Luis Guzman
Luis Guzman, Managing Multimedia Editor
Fall 2014 Hey guys and gals, my name is Luis Guzman. I am journalism student at Cerritos College, I’ve been going there for about three years now. I have been involved with Talon Marks, the newspaper for Cerritos College, for five semesters. I have done mostly everything there is to do in Talon Marks; covering breaking news, page design, video production, podcast production, and photography. I like to read in my off time, mostly books about science fiction and horror. I also like to write fiction of my own, mostly poetry and short fiction. The career I have in mind would involve anything that has to do with creative writing and maybe writing some articles for newspapers here and there.