The Constitution needs to be read

People need to pay more attention to the U.S Constitution, it has become a thing of the past.

Sure, pretty much everyone had to read it in high school, but who actually remembers what it said?

Our generation has it easy. The people before us had to fight for the liberties that have been handed to us.

We take that for granted; they have always been there so we pay no attention to our inalienable rights.

Because of that, it is a lot easier for the government, or whoever, to take advantage of us.

If you don’t know your rights, then it is easy for someone to come along and deny you of them. You can’t fight for something you didn’t know you had.

The Constitution is slowly becoming a historic thing instead of a historical document.

Meaning people look at it as thing of the past, not something that was one of the most important documents that had ever been written.

Yes, on Monday, the Constitution turned 225-years-old, and a bunch of gray-haired men wrote it, but that doesn’t change the fact that without it your life would be drastically different.

Do you like the fact that you have the option to go to school to become whatever you want?

How about going to whatever church you please?

Even better yet, do you like the fact that you have the option to write anything you want to inform people on, or that other people can write about things regardless of what the government thinks so you can be a more informed person?

If the answer to any of those questions is yes, then thank those gray-haired men and that 225 year-old document you think you are too busy to read.

Granted, it’s not the easiest thing to read and it isn’t as entertaining as “50 Shades of Gray” but the Declaration of Independence and the Bill of Rights are hands down some of the most important things you could ever read.

It isn’t just about reading the Constitution but understanding it as well.

Skimming through it and not knowing what you are reading does no good for you.

With all of the crazy things going on, it is becoming more and more important for you as a citizen to know and understand your rights.

So take the time, download it on your nook, Google it, or find a good old fashioned book version, it doesn’t matter how you do it, just sit down and read the Constitution. It’s almost guaranteed that you will be happy that you took the time to do it.

Read the opposing view “The Constitution needs to be rewritten”

Sarah Niemann, Staff Writer