Bad professors create bad students

Cerritos College has a mixture of good and poor professors. If you get stuck with a poor one the 18-week semester can feel like an eternity.

If the professor isn’t into teaching the material, how can the student be expected to learn the material?

For example, an English teacher gets to class and constantly complains about about having to be there to teach the class.

If professors don’t want to be there then why should students show up to class?

Another example is an anthropology professor who consistently shows up to the class late, puts on a movie not to return again until the next class meeting.

As students we pay for these classes and some professors waste our time and money.

For students who get stuck in a class that is similar to these examples or have issues with a professor, there is something you can do.

Go to Judicial Affairs in the Student Activities Office and file a complaint with Judicial Affairs Clerk, Nikki Jones.

To be fair there are professors on campus that are really good.

For example another anthropology professor, who teaches in a way that really connects with the students and sparks interest in the subject.

Since there is a way for students to complain about the professors that are poor then there should be a way for the students to acknowledge the really good ones.

The Associated Students of Cerritos College should come up with a system other than the survey that school puts out at the end of the semester.

In elementary school students gave apples to the teachers that they like.

What if the students had “Apple Cards” that they could give the professors on campus who they like.

In theory the professor who has a lot of cards would be a better professor to take than one who has only a couple.

This might not be a perfect idea but something needs to be put in place to give the students more of a voice when it comes to professors they like since there is procedures to file a complaint about ones they don’t like.

Maybe then the not so good professors who show up late, complain and really don’t want to be there will be more willing to change their attitude and if they don’t the students will have a scale to judge them. Eliminating the waste of the students time and money.

Sarah Niemann, Staff Writer