FSZ: Legalization of Marijuana

Christopher Cotto- Undecided major

“I’ll say it should because it could help a lot of people medically and it could have (the) potential of cutting down crime and all that, but it should really be regulated so people won’t abuse it and cause more problems to society than there already is.”

Jamie Boyd- Philosophy major

“Yes, because it’s no worse than alcohol is.”

Kaylana Vithoulkas- Theater arts major

“Marijuana should be legalized. There are so many people that get arrested for having small amounts and it’s crowding up jails. There (are many uses) for it, not just for medical reasons but for material reasons. People make hemp out of it (and) you could make lotions that are beneficial for your skin. There’s just so much that you could do with it and it could eliminate crime or at least lower it a significant amount (because) there’s so many people that are distributing it.”

Maria Barrientez- Special education major

“I think so, just for the fact that everybody does it and it’s not bad. Especially for your health.”

Cynthia Figueroa- Nursing major

“Yes, because people smoke it anyways so why not have it legalized.”

Johnathan Benister- Theatre major

“I think it should be legalized. It’s not really that bad of a drug compared to most things that are illegal. They make it more of a big deal than they should and other states make it completely legal. California is the biggest state for marijuana too. It should have been the first one to make it legal. Unfortunately Obama is the one that really has the biggest standing against it but I do believe it should be legal. It’s more of a peaceful drug too. There’s no actual causes of death (from) it.”

Lissette Alcala- Business administration major

“I believe it should for medical reasons but also because you could make a lot of money from taxing marijuana alone, so I think it’s up and up as long as people don’t do it while driving and just do it at home.”

Paulina Maldonado- Psychology major

“I think it should be legalized because either way we’re (going to) get it no matter what.”

Eduardo Gonzalez- Computer science major

“I think it shouldn’t be legalized because it’ll cause a lot of people who already smoke to find ways or methods to find the marijuana for free like (making) up reasons of medical use. I could see in some ways how it’s good for some people who use it for medical reasons, but I think there’s more disadvantages to it than there are good uses to it. I could see if it’s legalized for medical reasons, then its good, but I think it has to be controlled very well is all.”

Solmayra Mendez
Solmayra Mendez, Staff Writer
Spring 2014 Hello. My name is Solmayra and this is my second semester being on the talon marks staff. Having taken this class before, I learned a lot about the steps that are taken to bring a newspaper together and really liked enjoyed working with the rest of the writers and editors.