Don’t drive while distracted

There have been some new ads developing lately targeting the younger generation that tend to get distracted while driving.

It goes beyond just texting while driving. That just barely scratches the surface.

Distraction while driving contains three areas: Manual, Visual and Cognitive.

Manual is when the driver takes his/her hands off the road, visual is when the driver takes his/her eyes off the road and cognitive is when the driver takes his/her mind off the road.

All of these can be equally destructive to not just the driver, but to any passenger, other drivers or pedestrians.

Not to mention friends and family members that will be affected if you, as the driver, get hurt while being distracted and driving.

People get so serious around 16 or 17 when it’s time to get their license, but once that ID comes in the mail the seriousness fades away and they get too relaxed.

According to distraction.gov 10% of drivers under the age of 20 involved in fatal crashes were distracted at the time of the incident.

How much more does that percentage have to go up before people realize not only is it not safe to drive while distracted, but it’s just straight up stupid and irresponsible to do so.

Everything can wait. Your text messages and phone calls can wait. Fixing your make up or hair in the mirror can wait.

Also, your car is not a night club, there is no reason to turn up the music to the point of not being able to hear sirens or something.

When we this society and generation realize it doesn’t matter if you “look cool” while driving.

How much “cooler” will you look laying in a casket?

Think before you get in the car, even if your a passenger in the car make sure the driver stays focused.

Even if that means limiting the conversation to a minimum.

Talking to passengers in the car is considered a distraction for driving too.

You can get so caught up in a conversation (that can be easily saved for later) and miss a stop sign, or running a red light.

And usually these go without any injury or even a ticket. They go virtually unnoticed.

But just because you don’t get caught or get hurt doesn’t mean it still isn’t wrong.

The more you run the risk, the higher the risk goes up. You increase your changes of getting hurt or hurting someone else.

No one’s life is worth a text to your friend that says you’re five minutes away. They can wait.

Tell your friends “I am driving. Please don’t text or call me. I will be there when I get there”

If they don’t like that then get better friends.

If you need to fix your make up, pull over to the side of the road or pull into a near by parking lot.

Better yet, give yourself more time in the morning to put on make up or don’t place any at all.

They say the risk is usually worth the reward, but with distracted driving there is no reward.

Alexandra Scoville
Alexandra Scoville, Editor in Chief
Spring 2014 My name is Alexandra Scoville, I am the editor-in-chief of the Talon Marks brand. This is my fourth semester on staff. I took a semester off in Fall 2013 and focused on taking a photography class and an audio class. I’m eager to use those skills for this semester of Talon Marks. When I am not in class or at school I’m usually watching wrestling or going to a live show. That’s like half my life. I’m interested in photography, writing and design. I plan on transferring to Cal State Fullerton and hope to teach a journalism class in the future.