Untimely safety alerts prove lack of responsibility at Cerritos College

Between the administration, staff and students there’s a common understanding that they are to be safe on campus.

While there are no guarantees, in life, the administration and campus should take every precaution to ensure the safety of Cerritos College.

There is an alert system in place that is transmitted via email and text message to notify administration, staff and students of any dangers on and around campus.

You will only receive these alerts if you chose to register your information.

However it’s a faulty system that lacks the urgency needed in times of a crisis.

Frankly, this is unacceptable.

Over the last few weeks the danger surrounding Cerritos College seems to have increased.

The most recent incident occurred on Thursday, Mar. 3 when a suspicious male was reported to be in the women’s locker room.

An alert was sent out at 11:29 a.m. when the actual incident occurred at 8:40 a.m. There was a three hour gap where information was not coming in nor out.

It’s time that the administration and campus safety take a look at the system in place and fix the faults before a possible life and death situation takes place on campus.

Alerts and precautions should be in implemented within thirty minutes after an incident has taken place.

Students need to feel safe on campus and the ability for just anyone walking on and off campus does the exact opposite.

Campus Safety and Cerritos College Police Officers should be more vigilant as to what is going on throughout the campus.

When students enroll they put their safety and well-being in the hand of the school and entrust that they know what is best in times of a crisis.

The events that have occurred on and off campus are indication that maybe the administration and campus safety, and all the channels that information crosses through, is not ready to protect us.

The intent is there, but the delivery needs work.

Our campus needs to feel like a safe environment where students can attend class and learn without worrying whether [they] are protected or not.

There can never be a complete guarantee that bad things will not happen to the school, or in life.

However, all that is needed is for each student to feel that they can look to any faculty member with assurance that they will lead them to safety if the time ever comes.

Monique Nethington
Monique Nethington, Editor in Chief
My name is Monique Nethington and am the current Editor-in-Chief of Talon Marks. I am a Journalism major at Cerritos College and hope to one day work for the NFL network as a field reporter. In the fall, I will be attending Academy of the Arts University in San Francisco to get my BA in Communications and Media Technologies.