We are being replaced by robots

Embed from Getty Images

Technology is becoming highly advanced as we make our way further into the 21st century.

With technology coming in fast into the service industry, minimum wage jobs are at risk of being replaced by automated systems.

Although, technology is highly valued and used in everyday life, we do not want it to take our job even if it means flipping burgers. I mean we have to work somewhere while we are in college, right?

But unfortunately, Millennials and Generation Z-ers are the ones who run the most risk of being replaced by automated technology.

The reason is because our generation will be the ones who will occupy future jobs.

As technology evolves, it means we have to earn a higher degree to avoid being replaced.

This would mean earning a doctoral degree, which would not be a bad idea, but it would also mean going to school for an additional eight years. At this rate, you would only have a 13 percent chance of being replaced with an automated technology according to CNN tech.

However, this is not realistic for everyone. It is evident that if humans are replaced with robots, then they will not have any resources to pay for their additional schooling.

As of now, people who only have a high school diploma have a 74 percent chance of being replaced according to CNN Tech.

Although robots doing human jobs is extremely futuristic and awesome, it is already making it difficult for people to get jobs.

In Las Vegas, automated systems are already underway working in hotels as hospitality workers. The University of Redlands states that 65 percent of Las Vegas could be automated in the near future. The replacement of humans to robots is not hitting close to home yet, but who’s to say it will not happen in the next 20 years or sooner?

Technology rules the world now, what would it be like in 20 years plus?

The path it seems to be taking now is avoiding all human contact.

For example, ordering at the kiosk at Panera to avoid human interaction.

Which, admittedly is nice to do from time-to-time, but not eliminating human interaction all together.

Replacing humans to robot-preformed jobs would mean continuously interacting with automated systems. We would forget how to act as humans and stay in the vicious cycle that we are already in: completely zoned out and stuck on technology.

All-in-all, technology is great, but at what cost?

Technology can have glitches and be hacked.

Not having a job because a robot can do your job without being paid, while you are at home being anti-social, getting sucked in deeper and deeper into technology.

It would also mean no money. How will consumers consume if they are not receiving a paycheck?

There are many things that have to be considered and placing people’s financial needs would be one of them.

Many times, we as humans not take the initiative and just wait for problems to affect us immediately, then we feel it is time to take a stand. Do not let this be one of those times.

Stephanies Guerrero
Stephanies Guerrero, Staff Writer
Stephanies Guerrero is a staff writer for Talon Marks. She is in her third year at Cerritos College working on her AA-T in Journalism. She is focused on fashion and lifestyle journalism and photography and hopes to one day work for Vogue Magazine.