Student discount on gas is a necessity

Students should be able to receive discounts on gas since the price of gas is not lowering, but increasing.

College is notable for being one of the most expensive times in a young adult’s life. In some cases, they have a part-time job paying below minimum wage and are still expected to cover tuition costs along with books and supplies.

The expenses college students are expected to cover with their below-minimum-wage-job is obscured on top of having to cover gas prices which can range from four to five dollars a gallon. This adds up over time.

The increase in gas only makes it more difficult for college students to transport themselves from school to work and back home.

Students then have to decide between putting gas in their car or eating a meal and, sadly, it happens more often than people think.

Some gas companies have put together a gas credit card or a reward system, but in many cases with these programs it requires credit which many college students either do not have or have a score that does not qualify.

If gas companies cut the down the cost of regular unleaded gas by just a couple dollars it would be saving college students money and stress.

One way college students are fighting gas companies in an effort to save money is by taking online classes.

Taking online classes saves gas because you no longer need to drive to class; you have the ability to stay at home and take classes without leaving bed.

Sadly, this is not an option for all students. Some students need a professor and lectures because no two students learn the same way.

Other students do not have the resources to take these classes online because they lack the technology so it benefits going to school to use facilities and get extra help if need be.

In some extreme cases college students may just drop out of school because of the distance they need to drive to attend school.

Most students would rather make money and use the money earned on gas. If there isn’t enough money coming in to cover student expenses on top of gas then one has to go, and it most likely is school.

All students are asking for is one selection of gas to be given a discount for take the everyday worry out of buying gas and worrying how much money you have in the bank.

Christopher Martinez
Christopher Martinez, Sports Editor
Christopher Martinez is currently the sports editor for Cerritos College’s Talon Marks. He hopes to transfer to Cal State Dominguez Hills or Cal State Long Beach and obtain his Bachelor of Arts in Journalism. His dream is to also receive his master’s in journalism from USC and to work as a Sports Data Journalist for either ESPN, Bleacher Report, or Fox Sports.