Mattels ‘Creatable World’ Dolls

Breaking Gender Stereotypes Even Further
Barbie+by+JeepersMedia+is+licensed+under+CC+BY+2.0+
Creative Commons
“Barbie” by JeepersMedia is licensed under CC BY 2.0

Mattel launched a brand new line of dolls called “Creatable World,” a gender-inclusive doll line that anyone can create and play due to responses from parents who were concerned about gender-specific toys and kids not wanting to be told what to play or how to play with dolls.

It is a really nice thing that Mattel is doing where it gives kids the freedom to make their dolls their own way, either making themselves or making someone different, while also letting it be accessible to boys.

It comes with six different skin tones, with the body being a gender-inclusive body it doesn’t appear to be a masculine or feminine body, with clothes that are worn by men and woman, which the kid would be able to create the doll in their own way.

The reason behind it is simple, people now live in a world where the gender stereotype is slowly fading away, that it’s okay for a girl to play with boy toys and its okay for boys to play with girl toys.

Its nothing like the past where the gender stereotype was guys do one thing and girls do the other. Over the years, women have been asking for equality and rights to work and be treated like any other guy.

Woman now would be working in jobs that is mostly affiliated with men. While guys would take care of the kids or do work around the house like laundry, cleaning or cooking food for the kids or the entire family the stuff that women would normally do.

Another reason is that the dolls also reflect the child who is playing it, that it makes them feel more comfortable playing with it, it isn’t designed as a one gender only toy, its meant for all genders regardless and it is believed to be a good thing.

This idea where something like this in the toy market or any other market of goods should be implemented more in commercials but the products are being marketed for specific genders.

In most markets, we see products being marketed for that specific gender.

If its a commercial about shampoo or laundry products, then its mostly marketed for men.

If its a commercial about cars and cologne/perfume it is mostly marketed towards guys.

Anyone can use these products regardless of gender, but companies usually put a girl or guy in these commercials cause it relates to other people.

What Mattel is doing with these dolls actually benefits and makes it open for others about what are dolls for and break away that stereotype of “only girls play with dolls.”

In this day of age, it feels like a good time to brings those dolls into the world and it should be well received as a positive impact on gender-inclusive products.

It also is the right time to buy a toy like this to kids who are being learned about gender stereotypes on them and being able to play with things that the opposite gender plays.

Parents should buy these dolls for their kids especially with boys because it makes them feel like its okay for them to play with this without being told that only girls play with them.

Hopefully, this leads to more toy companies following Mattel’s idea of gender neutrality in their own future products.

Oscar Torres
Oscar Torres, Co-Arts and Entertainment Editor
Oscar Torres is one of the Co-Arts & Entertainment editors here in Cerritos college. He’s been wanting to study journalism since high school and since then he’s been working hard to continue his goal. He enjoys all things entertainment from manga, film, shows/cartoons, music and video games. Oscar hopes to transfer to CSULA to continue his career in journalism in hope of one day working in a news group that he is passionate about or starting his own brand for all things entertainment.