Playoff beards are a fun ice hockey tradition

Len Redkoles Getty Images

What is responsible for so much hair on men’s faces this time of year?

Playoff beards are a tradition introduced by ice hockey players participating in the Stanley Cup Playoffs, and are now a tradition in many sports leagues.

Many fans of other professional sports teams also grow playoff beards. Playoff beards are a ritual in which the player or fan stops shaving when his team enters the playoffs and does not shave until his team is eliminated or wins the Stanley Cup, or equivalent championship.

The tradition was started in the the 1980s with the New York Islanders.

When asked about the playoff beard ritual, one campus member recalls having done it three times.

He stated that he begins growing a playoff beard ‘no later than two weeks’ before the season ends.

He first grew it one in 2017 when his favored team made it all the way to the World Series, while the second year he chose not to as to not upset his significant other.

That year his team lost to the Boston Red Sox.

He blamed the loss on his girlfriend’s lack fo support for his playoff beard.

This year he plans to get the beard back and keep hoping this will be the year the championship comes back to Los Angeles for the first time since 1988.

Since they clinched on Sept. 10, the beard started on that day and while it can be a bit bothersome at times, you have to stay with it and remain consistent with the hopes of the opportunity for glory, or failure and the sad day of mowing it down.

No matter the end result, it’s done in the name of fun and togetherness. Hopefully with the team of our fandom raising the trophy and they are the last team standing. The best team in the league of the season

Here’s to October baseball. Let the baseball gods be on the team you support.

Luis Lemus
Luis Lemus, Co-Sports Editor
Luis is very big on baseball and tries to attend as many games as he can when there are no classes, of course. When he is not in class or attending a baseball game, he enjoys listening to music, specifically Hip-Hop and Banda. Specifically Banda MS, Banda La Adictiva and Banda El Recodo.