COVID survivor encourages Moderna vaccine to students on campus

Cerritos College student health services are offering the Moderna vaccine for students. The college will mandate that all students and faculty are fully vaccinated by Thursday, Sep. 30, 2021 Photo credit: Vincent Medina

I was diagnosed with COVID-19 in December 2020.

I am no health expert, but I am aware of how an illness affects my body, for being someone immune-compromised, this was a push back to feeling fragile.

I could only remember being dramatic and requesting that I purchase a Casper mattress because if I were to die in bed at least I want to be comfortable. I slept for about two weeks, or rather was recovering from a sudden state of fatigue, shortness of breath, and sudden lack of muscle energy.

It frustrated me a lot to know why wasn’t I more careful not to get sick. Or at least how could I prevent this unfortunate pattern of sickness to continue.

I was unconscious for two weeks during the recovery process and lost rapid weight because this illness made food a struggle. I would force myself to make food attractive, eat my favorite meals from UberEats only to reject it with few bites in return, but COVID sucked the life and joy out of it and it worried everyone I love.

I reflect back, but having to remember the passing days in bed, and I remember asking myself “is this the day I stop breathing until my parents take me to the already at-capacity hospitals?”

Not to mention my dad, head of the household, who is struggling with symptoms himself and having to hear him in my sleep and dreams coughing across the room.

To be honest with you, I was the last family member to catch COVID. At the time it already made a passing at my household where no social distancing was possible; but I am an essential worker, and have to risk myself again at the convenience of the economy when they think it’s safe to reopen.

I trust science and I know my body, that’s why I chose the Moderna vaccine when it was made available in the state of California.

I took what I consider a millennial selfie to say how proud I was to be receiving my first March 6, 2021, and again when the second dose was required.

I will be receiving that additional booster 3rd shoot when available, to prevent the spread and reduce the severity of the illness if I do happen to catch COVID-19 again.

I do not want to overwhelm the healthcare force over my inconvenience. I don’t care how cliché it was for our stereotype of younger millennials to say, “We did it!” but we are in this together as a global health effort.

Any type of positive influence on protecting and promoting the greater hood of society to get vaccinated is a good message for me, because I learned to trust my body and say enough is enough with Covid-19.

Please consider the option at Cerritos College if you are thinking of getting vaccinated.

Gustavo Olivares-Molina
Gustavo Olivares-Molina, Staff Writer
Gustavo Olivares-Molina is the Community Editor for the Cerritos College  Talon Marks. He enjoys solitude in the Angeles National Forest, but also listening to the stories, voices, and opinions of people in the greater Los Angeles region. He produces and co hosts “Lovecrow Ink Nest”, an independent podcast dealing with topics on the tattoo industry.