Van Gaston’s career leads to coverage of 282 consecutive football games

Sports+Button
Pete Moye’
Sports Button

Pete Moye’
Sports Button

While working for the Athletic Department as the Sports Information Director, Cerritos College alumnus John Van Gaston has spent the last 26 years covering the men’s and women’s athletic teams.

Van Gaston has attended 282 consecutive Cerritos College football games. He said, “I didn’t start out thinking, ‘I’m going to every game and never miss one,’ but as the years went by, it took on a life of its own, and now it’s my goal to never miss a game in my career.”

Van Gaston started working at Cerritos College in December 1985, at the age of 22.

He graduated from California State University, Long Beach in 1990 with a Bachelor’s degree in journalism.

His job consists of keeping an accurate history of statistics for every player in every sport. He also manages the athletic website, in which he constantly updates the press releases of every

Game, along with being responsible for the publication of the media guides. “The website is updated seven days a week, which includes any schedule changes, stats, scores and photos,” he said.

Athletic Director Dan Clauss said Van Gaston works long hard hours and is very diligent with his work.

“He is a human encyclopedia when it comes to Cerritos College athletics,” Clauss said. Van Gaston enrolled at Cerritos College in 1983 after his manager at a fast food restaurant convinced him to join Talon Marks, the student publication at Cerritos College.

Three weeks after starting on the Talon Marks staff, Van Gaston became assistant sports editor and then went on to become the sports editor for the Fall 1984 semester.

Van Gaston explains that the skills and lessons he learned while being on staff have really helped him excel as an SID.

“I really enjoyed the camaraderie of everybody on Talon Marks, I made some great friends and chief

[Tom Nelson] was just amazing, he taught me everything I could ever want to know,” he said. In 2009 Van Gaston received the California Community College Sports Information Association brass top, an award that recognizes career achievement in sports information.

He was also named employee of the month at Cerritos College for the month of March.

“I never think I’m worthy of recognition,” he said, “I’m here to promote others not to promote myself, but to be thought of in that light was very rewarding.”

Instructional Dean of Physical Education/Athletics Daniel Smith said that he couldn’t be more pleased with Van Gaston’s work.

“What he does during a football game takes a lot of focus and concentration because everything has to be accurate,” he said. Van Gaston states that he plans on staying here at Cerritos until its time for him to retire.

“People have asked me if this is something I want to do, and I’m sure I can adapt to another job, but I don’t ever want to, I’m a lifer here.”