Stark contrast in Age of Ultron

As the credits rolled on Avengers: Age of Ultron, the crowd cheered and immediately wanted more and it was no surprise. Full of fight scenes and moments that helped define the superhero genre as an almost guaranteed money maker.

Its ending fight scene flowed so well that the crowd ate it up. Heroes saving innocents, fighting the good fight and making jokes faster than you can laugh.

Yet too much of a good thing can spoil it, as a second viewing offered a different and flawed perspective.

While Age of Ultron was a fun ride that offered tons of surprises and quotes, it stumbled on it’s way to greatness, with a heavy handed plot and some mishandled characters.

Age of Ultron, follows Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.), Captain America (Chris Evans) and the rest of the Avengers go about taking down the sentient robot Ultron, whose god-complex makes him a threat to the world.

Ultron himself is a blast. Actor James Spader voices the fiend and brings life to a character that while new, is just as sharp and complex as any of the franchises big hitters.

At times you glimpse the sadness behind the metal, as he is the only one who sees the world as he does. A robot who is afraid of death.

Some moments felt underwhelming, however, like the promised fight between Captain America and Iron Man.

What was supposed to be foreshadowing to Civil War was so brief, that it was immediately overshadowed by a Frankenstein moment that was too on the nose.

The plot seemed close to the original as well, with Iron Man being the catalyst for the problem that cause the team to be at odds before reforming to fight. In fact if the biggest flaw of the film may be that it focused too much on Iron Man. He causes the creation of Ultron and is this trying to redeem himself the whole time.

Black Widow (Scarlett Johansen) featured the strangest of character arcs, featuring a moment that should come off as morose instead felt uncomfortable at best. Audience members may squirm at this scene between Widow and Bruce Banner (Mark Ruffalo) midway through the film.

Despite the amount of screen time Iron Man received, Hawkeye (portrayed by Jeremy Renner) was the real star who stole scenes.

On a team that contains a god and master assassin, what purpose does an archer serve? Well, he keeps them human, as Hawkeye serves as a morale compass who can still dish out plenty of fight.

Age of Ultron features moments and fights that almost perfectly encompass the feeling of small child reading a comic for the first time, but just like those comics the tropes and story hold it back from becoming something more.

Age of Ultron receives a 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Carlos Holguin
Carlos Holguin, Staff Writer
This is Carlos Holguin's fourth semester with the paper and he couldn't be happier to continue. When not writing or taking photos for the paper Carlos is the creator and host of The Weekly Geek, a podcast informing students on recent music, movie, and gaming news. Carlos has also been know to partake in theater here at Cerritos College.