Kinesiology club promotes a healthy life style at the Turkey Trot event

The Kinesiology Club was present at the Turkey Trot to promote a healthy lifestyle to the Cerritos College community.

The event took place in the Falcon Square on Thursday, Nov. 17.

Kinesiology major Jose Ortega said, “The purpose of this walk is for the kinesiology club to raise awareness of the benefits of the exercise to be in a better health.

“It was a pleasant day with the community on campus with the Kinesiology Club, the Turkey Trot event, and the child development kids who were present as well and enjoyed there time with fun games in Falcon Square.

Kinesiology Club Co-president Lorena Preciado said, “This program is about having healthier lifestyle, we are looking at everything that we can include to our kidney [awareness]walk and we want students to be involved to get into looking forward to be healthy family member and have a better life with there own kids.”

She continued, “We want everybody to have on consideration that we all need our kidneys and there part of us and there are very important.”

The Kinesiology Club members present at the event were,

• ASL interpreting studies major Denise Martinez
  • Kinesiology physical therapist major Ana Sosa
  • Kinesiology major Rafael Pimpentel
  • Kinesiology major Julyza Ruiz
  • Kinesiology major Lorena Preciado
  • Kinesiology major Yahaira Rodriguez
  • Kinesiology major Jose Ortega

The instructor, coach, and athletics Deborah Jensen said, “The club was at the Turkey Trot to support Health Education Instructor Ni Bueno and to reinforce the idea of living healthy lifestyles through fitness.”

She said, “The club really likes the idea of bringing these types of events to the campus community at large.

“Every year people like anatomy and physiology professor Susan LePere and Pamela Chambers from the Welcome Center dedicate their time to the Turkey Trot, they are great role models who promote healthy lifestyles through their support of Cerritos College students and their campus events” Jensen said.

She continued, “In March, the Kinesiology Club will be putting on their own event called, “The Kidney Awareness Walk,” in which we promote a healthy lifestyle and the importance of taking care of your kidneys.”

“We will also be collecting old running shoes at the walk, the shoes will then be given to a group of kids who can still use the shoes or the shoes will be recycled,” Jensen said.

“The Kinesiology Club supports healthy lifestyles through education, physical activity, and nutrition,” she said.

Lizette Sainz
Lizette Sainz, Staff Writer
My name is Lizette Sainz, I'm a current student at Cerritos College, my plan is to transfer this Fall Semester to USC or CSUF to obtain my Journalism (BA). I want to work and enjoy my career sometime soon for the news channel and for the WWE World Wrestling Entertainment as a reporter. I would like to come back to Cerritos college and finished my classes to obtain my Anthropology A.A. and Administration of Justice A.A. As a hobby, I'm at the gym three times a week an hour with my personal trainer. Currently I have no life, with school and work there’re not enough hours in a day.