Mock Rally pokes fun at candidates

Biology major Hannah Long witnessed her
mocker, Alberto Salcedo, come out of the Homecoming Mock Rally with
first place, in addition to psychology major Dana Ramos and German
Sanchez being runner-up at the Student Center on Oct. 17.

As candidates were introduced, the crowd cheered in support for the princesses and their respective mockers. Each mocker was asked a question, such as “tell us your idea of a perfect date” and “If you were president of the United States, what would you do?”

Long was entertained throughout the entire event.

“It was actually very fun and exciting. I was not expecting lots of the guys to dress up as the (women). They were all very entertaining, they made me cry tears of joy. The whole experience has been exciting.”

Salcedo was dressed in the identical high heels and pink dress attire that Long was wearing. At one point, the host jokingly asked who the real Long was.

“I just saw my own doppelganger. It was very funny. I was very speechless. It was fun,” Long said.

The crowd was in clear support of the antics of Long and Salcedo as it earned them first place in the rally. Long was appreciative overall.

“I was very surprised. I’m very happy that we won first place. I think the other guys did a great job too.”

Earning runner-up was Ramos and her mocker Sanchez, who was sporting a set of fox ears and a tail. He eventually gave a dancing performance to the song “What does the fox say?”

Ramos loved the event and the impersonation that was provided.

“It was a little embarrassing, but at the same time it was really hilarious,” she said. “He nailed it with the question, ‘potions class.’ I thought it was so funny. I loved it. This is what I was looking forward to the whole time. I love mock rally.”

Aldemar Sanchez, vice president of student body and president of the Order of the Falcons, was present in support of Ramos, and was content with the results.

“It was really great. The turnout was awesome, we got runner-up. That’s pretty cool. It’s cool to see all the guys willing to dress up, dance and be OK with it. It was really cool seeing that.”

He added, “I was really happy. We’re a new club so all I want is our name to be out there. When she got princess, I was really happy. Right now as runner-up, it’s great.”

In addition to the ones involved with the Homecoming events, the audience was also pleased with what was showcased for them.

“I thought it was very entertaining. It was out-of-the-box. I didn’t think they would do anything like that,” Criminal justice major Alec Torres said.

Added elementary education major Erika Torres, “ I thought it was really funny. It was interesting. A lot of people put themselves out there and it made for a good show.”

The elections take place Oct. 23 and 24. The coronation will be Oct. 26 during the Cerritos College homecoming football game against Ventura College.

“It doesn’t really matter who wins,” Long said. “As long as we all have fun.”

Denny Cristales
Denny Cristales, Editor-in-Chief
Fall 2014

The Big Cheese! I am the Editor-in-Chief Denny Cristales. Just your average, mild-mannered pupusa lover who covers news. I’m not one of those jerks who would ramble on and on about what they do - such as being a former Sports and News Editor, in addition to earning third place at the CCMAs for my sports page design - no, I won’t do that (My staff also conquered the LA Times in local breaking news coverage).  What I will do is tell you to look at talonmarks.com and admire the work we do.

Also, talk to me on Twitter: @Den_Crist , or email me: . I embrace the criticism (Also, I get lonely).