Phi Beta Lambda conference funds provided by ASCC

David Jenkins
Phi Beta Lambda display their club banners during their presentation to the Associates Students of Cerritos College. They end the presentation by screaming, “We are Cerritos.”

The Associated Students of Cerritos College approved a funding of $13,000 for the Phi Beta Lambda 2018 State Business Leadership Conference.

Funds including registration and lodging, food expense, advisor lodging and bus expenses will be provided from the ASCC Travel and Conference Account.

“Oh, I am just elated,” stated Gerardo Ramos, adviser of PLB, “I’m really grateful to the senators and student body leaders, to help our student members attend this conference and experience the joy and [the] Cerritos College spirit outside of Cerritos.”

According to the senate legislation, club members of PBL come from economically challenged homes, but still wish to attend the three-day conference and take advantage of opportunities offered.

The 2018 conference will be held at the Hilton Mission Valley in San Diego, California.

“I am very thankful that the senators gave us the opportunity to be able to send students to conference,” stated Briana Morales, president of PBL.

“For some students, paying the $55 contribution is what stops them from attending and I believe [that] shouldn’t stop them from being able to experience these opportunities,” she continued.

The Business Club also participates in local and state competitions.

These competitions intend to foster individual knowledge and understanding in business and networking areas, deemed vital for a successful transition from higher education into the workforce.

The Business Club also invites students all over campus, not only business majors.

Ramos emphasized, “They get to do more than leadership as mentioned during the presentation. They get to learn life-long skills through workshops, seminars, career skills and also competition.”

“Life at times is a competition, sometimes its at that job trying to move up the hierarchy or get the next position, but at the same time in a legal, ethical and respectful manner.”

Not only are students allowed to compete and win awards, but also network with other members of PBL from across the state.

“Moreover, every spring semester in the competitions students can compete in up to five areas usually. If they are in the top three in the spring time, they get invited to nationals,” Ramos said, “We have gone to nationals every year since 2012. So, we hope to do the same in [2018].”

This year, nationals will take place in Baltimore, Maryland on April 6, 7 and 8 according to Ramos.

Morales herself placed third in the state a year ago and was able to attend the national conference in Anaheim, California.

Morales is happy the legislation passed so that students are offered opportunities that have not been presented to them.

“This whole club has helped me grow very much, because when I first began, I was not involved on campus.” she said.

Morales continued, “I became secretary of the club and that helped me grow to believe in myself to running for vice president, which I did, and from there moved onto becoming president.”

Ramos also mentioned, “Besides just student enrichment, we also have that giving part, the philanthropic part that is often not seen and we do our best to raise money.”

Jasmine Martinez, Editor-in-Chief
David Jenkins, Editor in Chief