Senate holds its second meeting of the spring semester

After a rough start, with Senators dropping from the senate at the last minute, the second meeting of the spring went on without a hitch and with five new Senators.

Textbook prices, complaints of the modular building, potential students fees, budgeting and voting senators into new positions were discussed during the Jan. 21 ASCC Senate meeting.

The next meeting of the Senate will take place in room BK 111 at 2 p.m. on Jan. 26.

It was brought to the attention the renewal of the campus bookstore contract.

The Board of Trustees were to meet at 6:30 p.m. to discuss terms of the contract.

Senator Dalia Jimenez advised for people to speak out while the contract is still being ironed out stating, “To pay for one book is the same or more [costly] than enrolling in a class.”

Complaints concerning the new modular classroom building were stressed by Senator Gonzales, who also attends a class in the building.

The major problems mentioned were whiteboards and noise.

It was said that the whiteboards found in the classrooms are only one-fourth the size of the walls.

The size of the boards force professors to constantly erase vital information.

The noise issue refers to the ‘distractingly’ loud AC units found in the building, pull the attention and ability to hear away from the students.

Region Eight Senators Tiana Buttice and Alejandra Colon, represent the region of schools in which Cerritos falls in.

They were present at the meeting to inform the ASCC Senate of new bills and legislation that may affect or impact the region that includes Cerritos College.

The two Region Eight reps were joined by Senator Joe Nino.

One bill that was mentioned by Buttice was SB42.

SB42 is a bill that may implement the use of student success fees on the community college.

Buttice stated that “ We [Region Eight Senate] are watching most of the bills right now… it’s too early to tell where bills are going, and lots of changes can happen.”

She and her colleague Colon both feel that if students voice opposition and “…get the state’s attention….” the changes that students don’t want and changes they wish to see can be taken care off. “One way we get our voices heard by the state senators are phone banks.” said Colon.

Buttice added that “ You don’t have to be a part of the ASCC senate or in student government to take part in the events held to get us heard in the Capitol.”

The Pep band Mobile event unit was also present at the meeting, their representative asking for a budget that will help maintain and prevent damage to equipment, and bring school spirit to Cerritos.

The Pep band asked for an estimated budget of $5,215. This budget would help the band buy matching windbreakers, drum harnesses and drum heads. The representative stating that with the increase in performances, such as spirit days, the Pep band is taking on, the need for the equipment is necessary and preventative for the band.

There were also votes for new positions open to the senate. One approval was Senator Janet Parga as the new senate clerk. Senator Parga mentioned that she “…Already knew how to do the job.” Referring to her previous experience on the Senate.

Amanda Del Cid
Amanda Del Cid, Social Media Editor
Amanda Del Cid, 20 years old. 
Current Social Media Editor of Talon Marks. 
Previously EIC of Libra Academy Inaugural  Literary magazine, and Co EIC of Libra Academy Inaugural news paper.
Played two seasons on the Cerritos College Tennis team.
Catch me around campus, we love to here from students and readers.
Follow at
Twitter: @delmanda94