Re-Entry Source Program helps students with their numbers

Many students dread the subject of math.

Some students even put off taking math classes because of their fear of being unsuccessful.

To ease some of these frustrations, The Re-Entry Resource Program sponsored a Math Anxiety Workshop on Thursday, Feb. 19, to give students different tips and inform them of the resources available to them so they can become successful math students.

The workshop was presented by Sue Parsons, director of educational partnerships and programs.

“This is not a tutoring session, you’re going to learn some different math tips and hopefully to appreciate math,” said Parsons.

During the workshop Parsons gave 5 key tips:

1. Don’t discount your innate math
    ability.
  2. There is more than one way to do math.
  3. Math is a language with its own
    vocabulary.
  4. Pay attention to the patterns in math.
  5. Work together.

People learn how to count, multiply, add, divide in different styles.

Parsons encourages these different styles and states that no one style or way is “right”.

She explained to the students how math is its own language with its own vocabulary and understanding this concept can also help you in the long run.

She also showed one example of a pattern in multiples of nine, (Every multiple of nine sums up to nine. 9*7=63 6+3=9). These patterns are not always so obvious but understanding them can be useful for a students math studies.

Parsons also expressed not to be afraid to work with others.

Working with students in the same math class, or working with tutors at the math success center can be a valuable resource.

“Even if you get the answer wrong and need help, “Do not erase your work,” Parsons said.

That way you can learn from your mistakes. Parsons has been presenting workshops like this since she started at Cerritos College in 1990. Her goal is to give students hope and confidence when it comes to dealing with math.

Shannon Estrada, the Re-Entry Resource Program advisor, works with many adults that are re-entering school after a number of years.

“I work with a lot of students that haven’t gone to school in years, and math is always the one where they say ‘oh I don’t think I could do it,’ so I’m hoping she (Sue Parsons) can help put their minds at ease a little bit,

I like how she always gives tips at the end on things like where to go, I think a lot of people are intimated to go to the office hours, even sometimes the success center, I hope that she encourages them to use these resources,” Estrada said.

Although there was a low turn out Parsons got her message across.

Yolanda Roldan, computer operator major said, “I have a struggle with math and I learned today to pay more attention to what the professor says and focus on the problem and to ask for assistance from the tutors.”

Larissa Calderon
Larissa Calderon, Staff Writer
Fall 2014 My name is Larissa Calderon, I am twenty years old, and this semester marks my third year in community college. I am especially excited for this fall semester because it will be the first time I will be involved in the school newspaper on campus. Recently I decided I wanted to be a Journalism major, so I know being in the school newspaper will really give me a hands on experience in my field of study. I am originally from Riverside county, which is mainly a suburb/desert area. Very hot. Very boring. So I am definitely enjoying the change of pace out here in Los Angeles County. Although I would hardly call living in Downey "City Life". None the less, I am looking forward to meeting new interesting people and making good memories here at Cerritos College.