Value menu: Oct. 20

Sophomore running back Elijhaa Penny charging the opposing Fullerton College defense in a Sept. 14 match.

The value meal explores the top five deals for the week of Oct. 20, which includes a look at the progress of the wrestling team and how it will fair against East Los Angeles College Wednesday, Oct. 23, and also how the women’s soccer team faced a 2-2 tie decision in the final minutes of its game Tuesday, Oct. 22.

5. Wrestling travels east

The Southern Regional Duals on Saturday, Oct. 19 resulted in the wrestling team edging out Rio Hondo College, West Hills College and Palomar College, while it lost to Santa Ana.

Head coach Don Garriott previously emphasized the team needing to wrestle with more passion and it seems evident that it is with the results.

The team now has East Los Angeles College to deal with in one last away competition Wednesday, Oct. 23 before hosting its first home competition the following week.

4. Volleyball drops three straight

In its final breast-cancer-awareness-themed game, the volleyball team continues its losing streak against Mt. San Antonio Friday, Oct. 18.

A 5-8 record and a 2-3 conference record is not a sign to hit the panic button, but it is absolutely time to assert a presence.

The team starts its three-game road trip against Pasadena City College Wednesday, Oct. 23 at 6 p.m.

3. Football seeks to remain undefeated in the conference

Defensive lapses for the football team is still an issue that needs to be addressed despite a three game winning streak after defeating Allan Hancock College in an away contest Saturday, Oct. 19.

The away game was a thriller to the very end as Cerritos College narrowly escaped with a victory after Allan Hancock College missed a field goal; thus, giving Cerritos College a 30-27 win.

Ventura College visits Cerritos College during a homecoming themed football game Saturday, Oct. 26 at 7 p.m.

2. Women’s water polo making a push

After starting the season with a shaky 4-11 record, the women’s water polo team has shrugged off the chemistry issues that come with the addition of new personnel.

A 16-5 win against Rio Hondo Wednesday, Oct. 16 lifted the team to a 10-12 record. The tenacity has to be maintained against conference opponent El Camino College Wednesday, Oct. 23 if the team wants to push for a winning record.

Game time is 3 p.m.

1. 12-game winning streak comes to a close

The women’s soccer team is no longer untainted when it comes to its overall record after a 2-2 tie to Mt. San Antonio Tuesday, Oct. 22.

The defending champions saw its 12-game winning streak come to an end after a late penalty kick within the final minute of the game tied it up at 2-2 for Mt. San Antonio.

With a 12-0-1 record and a 6-0-1 conference record, the team is still one of the best soccer teams in the country, but with such high expectations for itself, the team is sure to explode right out of the gates against Los Angeles Harbor College Friday, Oct. 25 at 4 p.m.

Denny Cristales
Denny Cristales, Editor-in-Chief
Fall 2014

The Big Cheese! I am the Editor-in-Chief Denny Cristales. Just your average, mild-mannered pupusa lover who covers news. I’m not one of those jerks who would ramble on and on about what they do - such as being a former Sports and News Editor, in addition to earning third place at the CCMAs for my sports page design - no, I won’t do that (My staff also conquered the LA Times in local breaking news coverage).  What I will do is tell you to look at talonmarks.com and admire the work we do.

Also, talk to me on Twitter: @Den_Crist , or email me: . I embrace the criticism (Also, I get lonely).