Review: ‘Rebel Without a Cause’ is a must see

“Rebel Without a Cause” was unexpectedly great and enjoyable. Every scene was exceptional and the main protagonist Jim Stark played Ivan Oyarzabal was lovable.

“Rebel without a Cause” is about Stark who is new student at a high school and falls in love with a girl named Judy Brown who is played by Tiffany Mata. There is conflict with this young love because Judy is in a relationship with a bad boy called Buzz who is acted by Adam Haze.

Both Jim and Judy also have problems with their families and Jim becomes friends with Plato who is played by Cristian Paul Martinez.

The story is pretty basic for the most part meaning that there are no twists just dramatic moments and with a group of one-dimensional characters.

What really pulls you in is the superb acting by the cast. Everyone did an excellent job portraying each character. The ones that stood out the most were Jim and Plato. Both Oyarzabal and Martinez were great. The audience felt the emotion that these two actors showed while they portrayed their respective characters; especially at the end of play.

The most enjoyable moments of the play were the dramatic scenes like the chicken run scene and the scenario at the end when Jim tries to reason with Plato for the awful mistakes he committed.

There are also a couple tragic moments that are spread out throughout the play.

“Rebel Without a Cause” did come with its fair share of problems.

For instance the first half of the play was hard to follow. The audience had trouble figuring out what was actually going on, it was like a puzzle game trying to connect the dots together at the end of every scene. Also the sound at times was too loud which made it hard to hear the conversations that the characters had with one another.

Another problem was that there were times when jokes were trying to be forced to get the audience to laugh, but it never worked and made things seem awkward.

There were also problems with the pacing of the play. For example one scene Plato and Jim meet and a friendship starts to form and then the next scene Plato is talking about how they are best friends to Judy. It just felt rushed because there was no development to their friendship leading up to that scene.

But all these problems were overshadowed thanks to the ending. The ending was just spot on. The audience was touched and uncomfortable during the resolution because of what happened to Jim and Plato. The ending was emotional and everyone it the audiences felt touched and sad to what happened.

When a play, movie, book, or video game has a great ending, than all the problems it has are overlooked because all the attention is attached to the marvelous resolution. That is what made “Rebel Without a Cause” a great play to watch.

Go and watch this play because it will not disappoint. For the most part you will feel satisfied and not disappointed.

Grester Celis-Acosta
Grester Celis-Acosta, Managing Editor
I am Grester Celis-Acosta, I will the Managing Editor for Fall 2015. This will also be my third and final semester at Talon Marks and Cerrtios College. A little bit about me is that I love video games and music preferably hip hop. When I’m not busy with school I either play some video games or I just listen to music and relax. Twitter: @GresterC
Instagram: @gresterc23