Library Club hosts 8th semi-annual Poetry Night

The Library Club hosted their 8th semi-annual poetry night at the Cerritos College Teleconference Center on Wednesday, April 23.

The event consisted of several poetry readings by poets who share their own original work in a very open environment.

English major and Library Club president, Jessica Anguiano, felt really ecstatic that so many students showed up to express their poetry.

“We try to branch out to professors and students and even advertise throughout ASCC so we were really happy when we saw the turn out,” Anguiano stated.

The judges gave out prizes for first place, second place and third place. First place received 50 dollars, second place received 35 dollars and third place received 25 dollars.

“This money comes from out club funds. In past events we would ask for an admission fee, but this event we just asked for donations. Our earnings from events go to club hosted events or we like to donate those funds to the cause to expand the ESL section of books in the library. At the end of the semester we usually donate left over funds to our Student Health Center.”

As president, Anguiano is glad about the turn out and appreciates that everyone was comfortable enough to share their works.

English major, Desiree Lee enjoyed sharing her poem along with listening to countless other poems and has done the poetry readings since last year.

“I love this. I love everybody getting together and hearing everyones poems. Even though i didn’t win, i love hearing poems because everybody has their own interpretation of what they say,” Lee said.

The Library Club hosted the event and had several instructors from the liberal arts department judge the event and give out a prize for first, second and third. An honorable mention prize was given out as well.

English major and third place winner, Josh Craft, did not expect to win any type of award and prefers to seize the opportunity to share his poetry with other people.

“I was not sure what to expect at all. I’ve been a contestant before and I’ve been a winner before, but i try not to think about that side of it,” Craft said. “Third place or first place or no place is good. Any recognition is welcomed.”

The Library Club hosts Poetry nights every semester and welcomes all students.

Kristopher Carrasco
Kristopher Carrasco, Online Editor
My name is Kristopher Carrasco I'm that guy that went to college and didn't really know what to do. I just kind of jumped around until I was suddenly failing out of school. Then I found Talon Marks and little by little I started to understand what I wanted to do with my life and apparently it's journalism. The idea of gathering information from a variety of sources and re-telling it through visual or written story telling has engaged me in so much more than I ever thought possible. I love to work with Multimedia, but this year I have become Online Editor in hopes of learning a new skill set. I hope to be a music journalist in the future, but in the mean time I'll be finishing my last semester up at Cerritos College in the spring of 2016. I also love raccoons; like a lot.