Culinary arts

Something is sure cooking down at the Culinary Arts department. Last Wednesday Culinary Arts opened its doors to the cafeteria so students, faculty and the public could enjoy a well-served and well-cooked meal.

With only being a week and a half into school these students were prepared to serve.

In the Culinary Arts program students learn how to cook meals, service and learn different parts about the food industry.

The students learn the theory and practicum in food products and ingredients used in commercial kitchens. Also the fundamentals of hotel and restaurant dinner cooking and methods of preparing special pantry items.

One of the last courses in the culinary program covers advanced principles of hotel restaurant butchering, meat purchasing, and the carving of meats and poultry. Here is also where they learn about the emphasis on plate presentation.

The students arrive for class at 8:30 every morning Monday – Thursday.

They begin to prepare the meals that will be served in the Student Center at 11 am- 1pm

The Culinary serves an arrangement of different types of food.

There is hot food such as a beef, chicken, pasta or fish entrée. With each entrée you receive two sides such as potatoes, mixed greens, rice to name a few.

Also the culinary students make sandwiches, stuffed potatoes, soups, and salads for everyone as well.

And if you are not feeling like any hot food you can make your own salad at the buffet table in the middle of the cafeteria. Fresh fruit is also a choice.

Along with all the lunch type of items, they pastry class also has different types of pastries in the refrigerator right before you get in line to pay. Cheesecakes, truffles, cakes and cookies.

The price is small for the amount of food you receive. The average meal cost approximately $4.50.

The Culinary Arts cafeteria is opened from 11am-1pm Monday – Thursday. Students can either eat in the student center or also get your meal to go if you are in a rush between classes.

Students, faculty and public can pick up the week’s menu on Mondays in the cafeteria.

So if you are tired of the same food coming out of the food court and want a new change, try the culinary arts cafeteria.

Alicia Edquist, Staff Writer