Jazz ensemble, others featured in exchange concert

The Cerritos College Music department presented another exchange concert on Wednesday, this time featuring the Cerritos Jazz Ensemble, Pop/Rock Ensemble and the Carmenita Middle School Jazz Band.

The Carmenita Jazz Band played a four-song set, which included, “Ran Kan Kan,” a song composed by the late Tito Puente.

Alan Hallback, the band’s director, was able to notice the nervousness and anxiety of his students playing on a college campus.

“I think they felt good about it. They get a little nervous when they’re playing solos. I think the fact that they were able to get through them is a good confidence builder in the future for them,” said Hallback.

The Cerritos Jazz Ensemble began their set with a song entitled “Deep Freeze,” which featured a solo by bassist Rusty Kennedy.

With the help of guest vocalist David Page, the ensemble also played “Come Fly With Me,” a song made famous by Frank Sinatra. 

Their rhythm section was also featured in a song entitled, “All The Things You Are.”

Trombone player Jon Orloff was pleased by the way the band performed. “We performed well,  we didn’t make any major mistakes of any sort and it just flowed really well,” Said Orloff.

The last group that performed that night was the Cerritos Pop/Rock Ensemble. The group performed a total of eight songs, including James Brown’s “Papa’s Got a Brand New Bag,” which featured a solo by Daniel Mooney on trombone, and Shania Twain’s “Man! I feel Like a Woman,” which featured all six of the group’s female vocalists.

Other songs the group performed included Alanis Morrissette’s “You Oughta Know,” which was sung by vocalist Autumn Van Der Linden, and “Respect,” a song which was made famous by Aretha Franklin, which was sung by vocalist Rosette Sasson.

The night concluded with “Lady Marmalade,” a song featured in the hit movie, “Moulin Rouge.” The song featured solos by Baritone Sax player Steven McEvilly and Guitarist Arturo Martinez.

Students in the audience seemed to have enjoyed the experience. “It was the best show I’ve ever seen,” said Rigoberto Arenas, a student who attended the event. Arenas went on to say, “I gotta say it was a good show.”

Victor Diaz, Editor in Chief