Looking to ‘Sproose’ things up

Courtesy of Erick Galindo

Another local band looks to climb the ranks of the music business.

Sproose Goose is a band that specializes in playing Alternative Rock music.

They play mostly in the surrounding areas of Cerritos College such as Downey, Norwalk, and Long Beach.

According to Erick Galindo, the band’s Manager, the band has been featured in media outlets such as the radio station Star 98.7 and the NBCLA show, “MusicRaw.”

The band’s members consist of lead singer/lead guitarist Jose Velasquez, guitarist Carlos Lopez, Alex Sandoval on bass, and Carlos Garcia on drums.

The band has performed at popular venues such as Hollywood’s Key Club and the Whiskey-a-go-go.

The band has also played at UC San Diego, the LA County Fair, Baja California and parts of Orange County.

Sproose Goose also spends their time contributing to charity whenever they can. The band started a charity program in 2008 entitled, “The Dollar Campaign.”

In this campaign, the band donates one dollar of all ticket and merchandise sales toward fighting breast cancer, HIV and climate change, according to the band’s website.

Carlos Garcia, the band’s drummer, is a former Cerritos student.

During his time here, he focused his studies on music, taking classes such as music fundamentals.

According to Garcia, the classes helped him how to read music as well as assist him in his musical timing abilities.

Some of his musical influences include Sting, Chevelle and Neil Peart, drummer for the Prog Rock band Rush.

Alex Sandoval, the band’s bassist, sees his experience with the band as more than just a hobby.

“It’s something else. A lot of people play just as a hobby and to enjoy themselves, but we take it really seriously, we take it as a second job,” Said Sandoval.

Sproose Goose upcoming projects include incorporating “So Good Records,” a record label which would focus on helping other local bands, releasing its second full-length album entitled “Love Pump” and hosting a release party for the album.

Victor Diaz, Editor in Chief