First Cabinet meeting of the semester

For the first time in the semester, the Cabinet for the ASCC convened in BK 111 on Monday, Sept. 8.

ASCC President Miles Aiello spoke about various plans that the council had for Cerritos College over the course of the semester, including things that could potentially cross over into next semester.

One of the events he talked about included holding a special event on campus for veterans known as “Veteran’s Day,” which is planned to take place on Monday, Nov. 10.

“Personally, I felt this summer after reading an article, that these veterans had not gotten the recognition that they deserve at Cerritos College,” Aiello said.

He continued, “The cause and effect formulation out of this is that we’re putting on an event Nov. 10, to really give back to the veterans and show them Cerritos College cares.”

Aiello also talked about installing “hydration stations” to provide fresh, clean, accessible water for the students here on campus.

The Go-green committee from the ASCC will be heading this project.

“Bundled along” with these hydration stations are bulletin boards, which are to be placed on campus in pivotal places as a convenience for students so they won’t have to go to different buildings to get the information, like financial aid or admissions.

Among events and other things occurring on campus in the near future, one event could potentially be cancelled.

“We were talking about possibly cancelling the Fall Awards Banquet so we can have an event sponsored for the community, such as ‘Winter Wonder World,'” Aiello said.

He said that it would be a Christmas event to give to the under-privileged. Aiello stated two benefits of “Winter Wonder World”- the first being that it would save money for the budget, and the second that it could take the money that could potentially not be spent this semester and put it into the Spring Awards Banquet to make it more extravagant.

ASCC is also thinking of a Faculty Appreciation Day.

“We (want to) show faculty that we are indeed grateful for all of their hard work,” he added.

For more information visit the Cabinet Meeting website.

Julien Galvan, Staff Writer
This is my second semester at Cerritos college. I'm planning on majoring in Chemistry and minoring in Music. I play 5 musical instruments including Guitar, Bass, Drums, Trumpet, Piano. I'm a huge gamer and video game and comic book nerd, and I love to read mystery novels.