Veterans Day, possible game room changes in Senate meeting

Photo credit: Julien Galvan

Different topics were discussed at the ASCC Senate meeting on Wednesday, Nov. 5. Senate met to discuss setting a committee for the Fall Awards Banquet, and the upcoming event to be held on Nov. 10, Veterans Day and a discussion regarding what to do with the game room.

The two main topics of discussion were Veterans Day and the game room.

“The necessity to have our military is unquestionable,” ASCC President Miles Aiello said. “Without it, we are one of the most hated countries in the world, and we could be attacked at any moment, hence the attacks that have been occurring in the last 10 years.”

Throughout Aiello’s speech, he implored that the ASCC stand up and support veterans by coming out on Nov. 10 in front of the Burnight Center from 11 a.m. to noon.

As time passed, Dr.  Gilbert Contreras came up to speak about what should be done in regard to the game room.

“One of the big issues that revolves on campus with students is that there’s limited spaces for students to hang out,” Dr. Contreras said.

“In addition, another concern that we have is there’s little opportunity in terms of diversity. One of the main pushes to advance success with students is in identity formation.”

Dr. Contreras then proceeded to suggest that the game room could be turned into a sort of equality center for students to “hang out.”

One of the main arguments with having the game room around is the amount of money that goes into it, and how little in comparison is made from revenue.

It was noted that because it is a student facility, that it is open to the students.

Some suggestions led into just getting rid of some games and keeping the other games that students do actually play. The game room is still up for discussion.

The ASCC senate will meet again on Nov. 12 in BK 111.

Julien Galvan, Staff Writer
This is my second semester at Cerritos college. I'm planning on majoring in Chemistry and minoring in Music. I play 5 musical instruments including Guitar, Bass, Drums, Trumpet, Piano. I'm a huge gamer and video game and comic book nerd, and I love to read mystery novels.