Cabinet discuss Commencement and Student Government Notation

The Mascot unveiling will take place Thursday, Feb.5 in the amphitheater at 11 a.m. where the students will have a first look at the mascot’s new look. The name of the mascot is a topic that remains still in discussion, during this week’s Cabinet meeting.

The Cabinet meeting took place in BK 111 to discuss some of the new upcoming projects for the campus on Feb. 2 at 2 p.m.

Students Activities Coordinator Amna Jara, announced that the Graduation day will take place Saturday May 16 at the college’s football stadium.

She addressed that students that will be graduating this semester need to file the petition for associate in arts degree and/or petition for certificate of achievement through the Admissions and Records office or with a counselor during an appointment in order for their name to appear in the commencement program.

This deadline to file this petition is Feb.18, and applications submitted before but not later of March 23 will not include the graduate’s name in the program.

A blood drive will be held Feb. 9 to 10 at the Student Center Building from 8:30 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.

The American Red Cross assisted the meeting to ask for support of the school to promote this April’s blood drive and suggesting ideas of how to reach out for more students to donate blood.

“This is our way to give something back to the community,” Jara said.

Associate Justice De La Rosa asked for the approval of JR 14-0001: Student Government Notation which allows students involved in the student government will be able to have the position indicated on their transcripts under the Dean/President’s List notation.

“This is wonderful because when you transfer to schools that are competitive, they can see that you have the necessary leadership skills they seek in upcoming students,” expressed Athena Sanchez, Cabinet’s Party Whip.

Assistant to the Coordinator of Student Activities, Daniel Gomez, informed Cabinet about the March in March for Higher Education were thousands of students and educators from UCs, Cal States, and community colleges come together and protest at the State Capitol for a higher educational funding.

This year the march will bring up community colleges issues to let their voice be heard to lawmakers.

Assistant Gomez is recently looking for 25 students to assist to this upcoming event and will provide more details soon.

“There is nothing more empowering to see students and educators come together,” Gomez said.

Carlos Marquez, Opinion Editor
My name is Carlos Marquez and I am Opinion Editor for this fall semester in Talon Marks at Cerritos College. There is not much to say about me, I'm a regular student just like you majoring in Journalism and getting closer and closer to graduate with an Associates degree. I'm a fan of comic books and movies, I am what some may call a geek; I guess. I like to be aware of the events surrounding my community and share points of view with people to learn something new. I think is important to turn the community's voice into echo in order to inspire,make a difference and support a common cause.