Senate tackles paid positions concern

ASCC President Miles Aiello voiced his concerns to Senate about the recently approved paid position of student affairs assistant. Some Senators felt like there was no transparency in the process, which brought Aiello to announce he has no issue with posting his office hours if anyone has questions. Photo credit: Yasmin Cortez

ASCC Senate held a two and a half hour meeting discussing Student Affairs Assistants, possible funding of forensics team tournaments, WPMD funding to Awards Ceremony and the March in March.

Next Senate meeting will be Feb. 11 at 2 p.m. in BK 111.

ASCC Senate held a discussion about the recently approved paying jobs of Student Affairs Assistants positions to ASCC President Miles Aiello and Vice President Charles Caguioa, who will be paid about $14.32 an hour with the maximum amount of hours a week being 20.

Some Senators did not feel comfortable that the job positions were not opened to the public and had many questions.

There were concerns of conflict of interest and why the Student Affairs Assistants would need to be paid positions.

Dean of Student Services Dr. Gilbert Contreras, spoke about how these paid positions are not hired as president and vice-president, the job is for ‘student affairs assistants’.

According to Dr. Contreras he wants to create student jobs and said change is hard but necessary.

“This hasn’t been practiced in this past and that’s something for ASCC to decide if that’s the direction they want to go,” said Contreras. “I would strongly encourage that and support it so these positions would be paid positions but it still wouldn’t end my quest to provide more jobs for students on campus”

ASCC President Miles Aiello spoke up saying he has always fought for the students and felt disappointed with Senators questioning the trust.

Aiello said if anyone has questions for him he will post up his work hours and office times.

Senator Joseph Fierro said, “Miles was just standing his ground because this is a new process to us Senators and I’m pretty sure it’s still a new process to the ASCC president and the vice-president.”

Further discussion was postponed for next meeting.

Senate discussed funding for Phi Rho Pi Tournament and IPDA Nationals.

Money will be taken out of the special projects account and this will be voted on next week.

Senator Bryant Vu said, “I think it’s a great idea to fund the team because going to nationals might be a once in a lifetime opportunity for those students.”

There was discussion regarding the funding of WPMA Broadcasting club to send award nominated students to the Intercollegiate Broadcasting System Conference in New York.

Voting for the funding will be postponed until next meeting as there was no quorum.

ASCC Senate was informed that the ‘March in March’ applications are available for students.

There is a proposed budget for 25 students with possible cost of $5,800. This will be on legislation for next meeting.

Yasmin Cortez
Yasmin Cortez, Staff Writer
Spring 2015 Yasmin Cortez- My Major is English with emphasis in Film/Media, I plan to transfer to UCLA next semester, this is my first semester in TalonMarks! I’m iFalcon Club’s Public Relations Officer, Secretary for Social Photography Club, and I was on the Cross Country team. Fun facts: I plan to get my sky diving license, American Psycho is my favorite movie, I was a foley artist for a Feature Film and received IMDb credits, I have a tarantula named Harry, I'm a dancer for the Pacifico Dance Company, and last semester I was hit by the Frantone's van while skateboarding at school (I was skating because earlier that week my bike was stolen from campus)