Cerritos celebrates Franco’s first birthday

Janel Oliver
Franco Falcon with a toy in his mouth. The mascot’s birthday celebration took place on Thursday, Feb. 4. Photo credit: Janel Oliver

The Cerritos College mascot, Franco, was all smiles as student activities hosted his first birthday on Falcon square, Thursday, Feb.4.

The event was from 11 a.m. to 12:30 p.m where Franco posed for several pictures as students joined him for a photo with the energetic mascot.

Steven Anker, a kinesiology major said, “I think he’s very motivational and spirited. He brings such good energy to the school. I think the event is fantastic because it’s the first birthday for the mascot.”

Student Activities decided to create the event as they promoted the celebration by giving out flyers to put the word out that it was Franco’s birthday.

Students were asked to bring Franco gifts but it was not required.

Student Activities gifted Franco by opening up a scholarship under his name for students.

Franco was greeted with chocolate, drawings, girl scout cookies, shirts, candy and stuffed animals among other presents.

Julia Plecnik, another kinesiology major said “I brought him my triathlon shirt. Franco is awesome and I love the way he is so involved with everything.

“He’s just an awesome bird. There should always be a school mascot and also some rallies with Franco leading the way.”

The celebration got going when the Cerritos’ choir sang Franco happy birthday as he blew out the candle.

Students who came out to celebrate received lollipops and a slice of the birthday cake.

Amna Jara, student activities coordinator, who helped organized the event said, “ I’m very excited about the turnout. Franco was very happy and he got a lot of gifts.

She added, “It was nice to have all the clubs to come out and wish him a happy birthday and give him gifts.”

There is no set plan on if there will be a birthday celebration every year.

Janel Oliver
Janel Oliver, Staff Writer
Hey, I'm Janel! I am a first year staff writer for Talon Marks. I'm a journalism major and I'm excited to learn more about becoming a better writer. One important thing you should now about me is that I love basketball. I'm also a second year basketball player here at Cerritos College. I plan to attend a university this fall and continue to work on becoming a better writer. I want to be a versatile writer and learn how to make people want to continue to read my work.