Deputy involved in second off-campus shooting within two days

Update 1:23 a.m. According to Lieutenant Hernandez of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department Homicide Bureau, the driver of a white Acura located at 7-Eleven on Alondra and Studebaker, was taken to a local hospital where he died as a result of his injuries after being shot by a deputy.

Hernandez stated the suspect is reportedly a hispanic male.

The Wednesday, Feb. 24 shooting is the second to take place on Alondra and Studebaker boulevard this week.

According to the lieutenant, the deputy received a report that the vehicle was reportedly stolen after running the license plate.

“The vehicle was reported stolen out of the city of Whittier,” Hernandez said.

“He approached the car and gave some type of command to the person driving. […] he heard the car turn on and at one point, we’re not sure where the deputy was standing, but the driver accelerates striking the deputy and that’s when the shooting occurs.

“The deputy who shot at the driver gets the driver out, starts to perform CPR and first aid until paramedics arrived,” stated Hernandez.

The deputy who was taken to the hospital for unknown type of injuries was expected to be released sometime the same night after being treated.

According to first-hand witness Natalie Beltran, a man at the 7-Eleven gas station was shot when a cop pulled up and shot him without warning.

Lieutenant Hernandez however stated, “I couldn’t really address [that] at this point, we have surveillance video and we haven’t talked to the deputy, the only person who could fill in that gap about whether he had time or if he felt safe enough to give a warning would be the deputy himself.”

Hernandez did not believe the Feb. 24 shooting was related to the shooting which took place in the same intersection the night before, other than the deputy being on patrol because of the incident that took place on Feb. 23.

“We don’t know much about the individual who was driving or about the stolen vehicle investigation, i’d be speculating to say if [shooting was gang related] or if it is not.”

Sheriff gathered at the 7-Eleven on Studebaker and Alondra. According to a Cerritos College student witness, about four to five shots were fired.
TM Kristopher Carrasco

However, Cerritos College Police Department Captain Hans Strand stated that it was a deputy involved in the shooting.

According to a Cerritos College student who was also a witness, four to five shots were fired.

Karla Enriquez
Karla Enriquez, Managing Editor
'Ello! My name is Karla M. Enriquez and I am this semester's Managing & Investigative Editor. I'm a journalism major & hope to transfer to Berkeley in the very near future. I'm also very much into literature, politics, pop culture, art, and advocating for causes near and dear to me. I'm REALLY musically inclined so you'll probably catch me at a music event around town. If you catch me around campus feel free to stop me for a chat, I love meeting new people and sharing ideas. Catch me on social media as well. Twitter: karlamenriquez Snapchat:karlajonese
Monyca Cedillo Bravo
Monyca Cedillo Bravo, Staff Writer
My name is Monyca Cedillo Bravo. I am 22 years. I am the second oldest of eight siblings. My family is the most important for me. I am Mexican-american and feel very proud of my roots. I understand both English and Spanish. I want to become a  journalist. I was a volunteer in an organization called “Coalicion Latinoamericana” and  sometimes I went to a “Rescue Mission Center” to help to serve food to people in need. I volunteer in others organizations too. I like to be involved in community service because I feel it is the right to do.  I like to listen music and read books. My favorite books are  ” PS: I LOVE YOU" "PRIDE AND PREJUDICE” and "VOLAR SOBRE EL PANTANO."  My favorite band is ONE DIRECTION and when I hear their music it makes me feel free. I like to take walks on the beach to relax and think about things. You can found me on Twitter: @Mony_Cedi and Instagram: mony_moninis
Gustavo Lopez
Gustavo Lopez, Online Editor
I have coffee for blood and I'm not entirely sure I'm human anymore. I sort of stumbled into journalism and Talon Marks but I'm glad I did because I've always lacked direction, even though I've always been told I'm "smart." I've never really felt smart, more like the world doesn't make sense and I'm just trying to make sense of it. I'm a huge gamer and geek and the very model of a scientist Salarian. One thing you'll hear me say usually after several cups of coffee is either "I am Krogan" or "it had to be me, someone else would have gotten it wrong." I hope the editors and the new staff learn from my past mistakes, as well the ones that came before. I wish everyone the best in whatever they may pursue. Let's kick some ass, write good news and show them Talon Marks is more than just the newspaper. We're a team and family. This is Goose signing off, go get'em. 
Kristopher Carrasco
Kristopher Carrasco, Online Editor
My name is Kristopher Carrasco I'm that guy that went to college and didn't really know what to do. I just kind of jumped around until I was suddenly failing out of school. Then I found Talon Marks and little by little I started to understand what I wanted to do with my life and apparently it's journalism. The idea of gathering information from a variety of sources and re-telling it through visual or written story telling has engaged me in so much more than I ever thought possible. I love to work with Multimedia, but this year I have become Online Editor in hopes of learning a new skill set. I hope to be a music journalist in the future, but in the mean time I'll be finishing my last semester up at Cerritos College in the spring of 2016. I also love raccoons; like a lot.