Winners of ASCC election look to the future

Jasmine Martinez
President-elect Kimberly Sayo.

STEM majors Kimberly Sayo, Nathan Williams and Valery Escobar won the 2019-2020 president, vice president and student trustee election and look forward to using the summer to preparefor their upcoming position and responsibilities it entails

When Sayo, president-elect, Williams, vice president-elect and Escobar, student trustee-elect, found out they won the election on April 11, emotions of disbelief, happiness and overall excitement ran high.

“I didn’t believe it, I thought it was just a joke,” Escobar laughed as she asked her friend, “‘Are you for reals?’” and started crying.

She then felt joy, seeing as her and her team’s hard campaign work paid off and having an effect on the students who voted.

Williams said he was already having a good time with his friends and running mate, Sayo, and the news only enhanced their good spirits.

Looking to the future, Williams said, “Some of the plans we’re [Sayo and I are] trying to do, we’re trying to make sure how it’s best to approach them. So we’re going to be spending a lot of time this summer, actually, sitting down [and] meeting.”

He continued, “For myself, I really want to make sure to understand the rules that can, again, help coordinate when it comes to, again, facilitating [ASCC] discussions. Unfortunately, sometimes we have it where Senate doesn’t do as much, unfortunately, because we’re stuck on maybe one bill opposed to being able to go to maybe 2 to 3 of them.”

The elects are adamant on actions over words.

“I’m excited. I can’t wait until fall to see what we can do. [Nathan and I] are very hopeful,” Sayo expressed, “We just want senate running. It’s going to be great because me and him together have been in court and we have experience in every branch of government.”

To Escobar, being student trustee means representing all students on campus, especially those who she considers are underrepresented.

“One thing I look forward to is knowing what are the goals of the higher-ups of this campus, knowing what they see and what they want for the campus and what the students want,” she explained, “If there’s any disconnect, I want to see how I can solve it, just to make sure that there’s a good bridge instead of burning a bridge between the board members and the students.”

To Williams, it is important that the student body engages and gets more involved, but understands the sometimes demanding schedules of students.

“One thing we want to do is actually have suggestion boxes in each of the individual buildings where we can then collect information from them,” Williams elaborated on hearing more student voices.

Sayo acknowledged not being able to do much with legislation before the Fall 2019 semester but would like to see senators write at least one piece legislation each.

Jasmine Martinez, Editor-in-Chief