Parking issues discussed

Cerritos College is currently undergoing a series of problems, including budget cuts, tuition hikes, and the possibility of our vice president of academic affairs leaving. But there is one situation that seems to be overlooked: parking.

I understand that this parking dilemma isn’t just because the school feels like giving us trouble. I know that it is because of the current construction going on in lot C-10. But isn’t there something that can be done to ease the situation? I’m pretty sure that I’m not the only one that has thought this before. I’m also pretty sure that I’m not the only one who has to deal with the ongoing parking battle. So my question is, what is going on?

For those who still don’t know what is going on, allow me to paint a picture: the current construction that is going on in C-10 is blocking a significant number of parking spots. This is causing major traffic jams in what’s left of the lot. Much to the disappointment of Cerritos students, the parking lot is full with absolutely no spots available by 8:00 am every day, with the exception of the weekend.

What are we forced to do? We have two options: drive around and play “duck-duck-goose” in the parking lot, or stay in one lane, wait for someone to leave, put your turn signal so as to tell everyone, “back off, this is my spot!” and take the spot after long waiting and celebrate in your car as if you’re Drew Brees and you’ve just won the Super Bowl.

This is something I have to deal with on a daily basis. It frustrates me and downright angers me. I highly doubt that there isn’t a solution to this that doesn’t involve ending the construction. If we can get wi-fi on our campus and make it so students don’t even have to go to a classroom to be in class, why can’t we fix parking?

Not only is this causing a problem with parking spots, it is also causing a problem with class attendance. Because of the ridiculous time that it takes to find a spot, students have been late to their classes, always with the same reason: “Sorry I’m late, I couldn’t find parking!”

I realize that the logical solution would be to arrive with enough time to find a spot and get to class on time, but here’s the thing, it’s not like certain cars are going to leave at certain times! What if you get to school two hours before your class starts, but on that day, it takes you two and a half hours to find a spot? It has happened before, folks!

The situation in the parking lot is getting so hostile, that sooner or later, it’s going to escalate into a full-on warzone.

This reporter has seen cases where a person gets so frustrated that they cannot find a parking spot, that they end up cursing out the first person they see that gets a spot, regardless of whether or not they had been waiting for it.

Isn’t there something that can be done to resolve this problem? Or are we just going to wait until someone gets hurt in a fist fight just because they wanted a spot? Cerritos, the choice is yours.

Victor Diaz, Editor in Chief